How Do You Calculate Net Force on a Diver?

In summary: What is the net force on the diver as he is brought to rest?In summary, when Chet drops from rest on a diving board 3 m above the surface of the water, his net force is 1133.1 N.
Haley Heldt

Homework Statement

An 82 kg man drops from rest on a diving board 3 m above the surface of the water and comes to rest .55 s after reaching the water. What is the net force on the diver as he is brought to rest

Homework Equations

FDt = mv F = mg v^2 = vi^2 = 2aDx Dx = 3m Dt = .33 s m = 82 kg g = 9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plunged the numbers into the equation and i found the velocity to be 7.6 m/s. Also I am pretty sure mg= 803.6 N I am just super confused on how to find the net force please help! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the guy's velocity when he hits the water. What is his velocity when he stops. What is his average deceleration? What is the average net force exerted on him by the water?

Likes Haley Heldt
Chestermiller said:
What is the guy's velocity when he hits the water. What is his velocity when he stops. What is his average deceleration? What is the average net force exerted on him by the water?
I used the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aDx to find that his velocity in the air is 7.6 m/s and I used the formula FDt = mv to calculate the force exerted by the water which I believe is 1133.1N . I know that he starts at rest and he eventually ends at rest however I don't know his average net force or deceleration. Sorry!

Haley Heldt said:
I used the vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aDx to find that his velocity in the air is 7.6 m/s and I used the formula FDt = mv to calculate the force exerted by the water which I believe is 1133.1N .
In the equation ##\int F.dt=m\Delta v##, why should F be specifically the force from the water? What other forces act?

If you're traveling 7.6 m/s, and 0.55 sec later, your speed is 0, what is your average acceleration?

Chestermiller said:
If you're traveling 7.6 m/s, and 0.55 sec later, your speed is 0, what is your average acceleration?
The way I read post #3, Haley is past that point.
Indeed, has the answer but does not realize it.

haruspex said:
The way I read post #3, Haley is past that point.
Indeed, has the answer but does not realize it.
Post #3: "I don't know his average net force or deceleration"

Chestermiller said:
Post #3: "I don't know his average net force or deceleration"
Yes, but:
Haley Heldt said:
What is the net force on the diver
Haley Heldt said:
I used the formula FDt = mv to calculate the force exerted by the water which I believe is 1133.1N .
haruspex said:
why should F be specifically the force from the water?

haruspex said:
Yes, but:
I see what you're saying, but she really ought to know how acceleration is defined and how net force is defined (and why). It seems to me that she luckily pulled the impulse equation out of the air without really understanding what is happening at a fundamental level.

Chet

1. What is a complex net force problem?

A complex net force problem is a physics problem that involves multiple forces acting on an object at the same time. These forces may have different magnitudes, directions, and points of application, making the problem more challenging to solve.

2. How do I solve a complex net force problem?

To solve a complex net force problem, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes, directions, and points of application. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force, which represents the net force on the object. Finally, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the acceleration of the object.

3. What is the importance of solving complex net force problems?

Complex net force problems are important in physics because they help us understand the motion of objects in real-world situations. By solving these problems, we can predict how an object will move and explain the factors that influence its motion.

4. What are some common challenges when solving complex net force problems?

One of the common challenges when solving complex net force problems is identifying all the forces acting on the object. Some forces, such as friction or air resistance, may be difficult to quantify. Another challenge is understanding the direction and magnitude of the forces, as they may not always be given explicitly in the problem.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving complex net force problems?

One helpful tip for solving complex net force problems is to draw a free body diagram, which visually represents all the forces acting on the object. This can help you visualize the problem and identify any missing or unknown forces. Additionally, breaking the problem into smaller parts and solving them individually can make the overall problem more manageable.