Complex numbers (5+2i)=SQRT(x+iy)

In summary, When evaluating the problem (5+2i)=SQRT(x+iy), it is suggested to try raising both sides to the power of 2 or writing both sides in polar form. However, when using these methods, the i value on the left disappears and the equation becomes 21 = x+iy, which suggests that there is no imaginary part of the solution. It is important to note that (5 + 2i)^2 is not equal to 5^2 + (2i)^2, and using polar form is also a viable option for solving the problem.
johnwalton84
How do you evaluate this type of problem:

(5+2i)=SQRT(x+iy)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you considered raising both sides to the power of 2? Or writing both sides in polar form?

Last edited:
Yes, but when you do that the i value on the left disappears and you get

21 = x+iy

which suggests that there is no imaginary part of the solution (?)

I haven't tried writing both sides in polar form, i'll try that now

Yes, but when you do that the i value on the left disappears and you get

21 = x+iy

No, since (5 + 2i)^2 is NOT equal to 5^2 + (2i)^2.

(5 + 2i)^2 = (5 + 2i)(5 + 2i) = 5*5 + 5*2i + 2i*5 + 2i*2i = 25 + 10i + 10i - 4, etc.

:blushing: of course :blushing:

:smile: thanks

it works fine in polars as well

Related to Complex numbers (5+2i)=SQRT(x+iy)

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the imaginary unit (the square root of -1).

2. What is the significance of the "i" in complex numbers?

The "i" in complex numbers represents the imaginary unit, which is the square root of -1. It is necessary in order to have a number system that can handle both real and imaginary values.

3. How are complex numbers used in mathematics?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of mathematical fields, such as algebra, geometry, calculus, and physics. They are especially useful in solving equations that involve square roots of negative numbers and in representing the behavior of alternating current circuits.

4. What is the meaning of the expression (5+2i)=SQRT(x+iy)?

This expression represents a complex number, where 5 is the real part and 2i is the imaginary part. The square root of (x+iy) represents the magnitude of the complex number, which is a combination of the real and imaginary parts.

5. How do you solve equations involving complex numbers?

To solve equations involving complex numbers, you can use a combination of algebraic techniques and the properties of complex numbers. It is important to remember to treat the imaginary unit "i" as a variable and follow the same rules of algebra when manipulating equations.