Complex numbers an Pythagoras' theorem.

As an example of language ambiguity, you can see the use of the word "mean" to describe a property of a set of numbers (the arithmetic mean) or to describe the idea of the "average" (which can manifest itself in many different ways). So yeah, I agree with you that there are many different ways to use the word "norm" and one of them has to deal with topological spaces. I was just trying to use that one because it was the most generalization I could think of for the idea of an absolute value.
JDude13
If
[tex]c=\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/tex]
would i be correct in saying
[tex]c=|a+ib|[/tex]
?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JDude13 said:
If
[tex]c=|a+ib|[/tex]
?

Well, by definition, [tex]|a+ib| = \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}[/tex], so if you're talking about the positive squareroot, I don't see why not. Why would you want to do this though?

I dunno. Just crossed my mind.

JDude13 said:
I dunno. Just crossed my mind.

well mostly depends on what part of number line you are dealing with

and why can't it as well be |b+ia| ?

It becomes a little bit more interesting if a and b might be imaginary numbers.
The definition does not hold any more then.
However, the equation still holds! :)

JDude13 said:
If
[tex]c=|a+ib|[/tex]
?

If you mean the norm of that object, then yes. If you mean the absolute value, then no. The absolute value only makes sense when scalar quantities are involved. Norms generalize to many different objects (including things like matrices) and typically have some kind of geometric relationship with distance.

chiro said:
If you mean the norm of that object, then yes. If you mean the absolute value, then no. The absolute value only makes sense when scalar quantities are involved. Norms generalize to many different objects (including things like matrices) and typically have some kind of geometric relationship with distance.

Hmm, that didn't seem quite right.
I've looked it up and here's from wikipedia (absolute value):In mathematics, the absolute value (or modulus) |a| of a real number a is the numerical value of a without regard to its sign. So, for example, the absolute value of 3 is 3, and the absolute value of -3 is also 3.

Generalizations of the absolute value for real numbers occur in a wide variety of mathematical settings. For example an absolute value is also defined for the complex numbers, the quaternions, ordered rings, fields and vector spaces. The absolute value is closely related to the notions of magnitude, distance, and norm in various mathematical and physical contexts.
So, I'd say that the absolute value of an imaginary number is properly defined as the root given by the OP.

I like Serena said:
Hmm, that didn't seem quite right.
I've looked it up and here's from wikipedia (absolute value):

In mathematics, the absolute value (or modulus) |a| of a real number a is the numerical value of a without regard to its sign. So, for example, the absolute value of 3 is 3, and the absolute value of -3 is also 3.

Generalizations of the absolute value for real numbers occur in a wide variety of mathematical settings. For example an absolute value is also defined for the complex numbers, the quaternions, ordered rings, fields and vector spaces. The absolute value is closely related to the notions of magnitude, distance, and norm in various mathematical and physical contexts.

So, I'd say that the absolute value of an imaginary number is properly defined as the root given by the OP.

Norms have to obey certain properties regardless of the object the norm is applied to. I'm not saying your wrong, but I have never seen a definition of absolute value that has to be obeyed by generic objects in the way that a norm enforces.

To be a norm (and a normed space), mean you always obey certain rules. If you can show me a definition of absolute value in the same kind of context, then I'd like to see it.

Since Jdude didn't properly define a, b or c it is only possible to guess an answer to his question, but it does appear to be about a complex number (c) constructed from a pair of real numbers (a & b), although he uses the same type for both.

He further uses the symbol for the modulus of a complex number, not the symbol for a norm which is a pair of double parallel enclosing lines.

@chiro,
Incidentally my maths dictionary lists 6 different definitions for the word norm - only one applies to the topological use you refer to.

Studiot said:
Since Jdude didn't properly define a, b or c it is only possible to guess an answer to his question, but it does appear to be about a complex number (c) constructed from a pair of real numbers (a & b), although he uses the same type for both.

He further uses the symbol for the modulus of a complex number, not the symbol for a norm which is a pair of double parallel enclosing lines.

@chiro,
Incidentally my maths dictionary lists 6 different definitions for the word norm - only one applies to the topological use you refer to.

Unfortunately language in general has a tendency to apply one word to many meanings, but its a bit disappointing that it happens in mathematics since one goal of mathematics is to be absolutely crystal clear and 100% unambiguous about what you are talking about.

None the less for the chosen definition (the one out six), I still stand by my statement.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both real and imaginary components. They are usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the letter i representing the square root of -1.

2. What is Pythagoras' theorem?

Pythagoras' theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It can be represented as a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

3. How are complex numbers related to Pythagoras' theorem?

Complex numbers are related to Pythagoras' theorem through the Pythagorean theorem for complex numbers, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a complex number, when represented on a complex plane, can be found using the same formula as the Pythagorean theorem for real numbers.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

The geometric interpretation of complex numbers is that they can be represented as points on a two-dimensional plane, with the real part being the horizontal axis and the imaginary part being the vertical axis. This allows for operations and relationships between complex numbers to be visualized and understood geometrically.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many real life applications, such as in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, including calculus and differential equations. In addition, complex numbers are used in everyday life for calculating electrical power and for representing and manipulating audio and video signals.