Complex Wave Orientation Correction

In summary, the configuration and dimensions of an experiment play a crucial role in determining wave amplitudes. However, the orientations of complex waves are not considered when they are added, leading to potential inaccuracies in the resulting wave. In 2D examples, this may have a minimal effect due to the small angle θ, but in 3D, it would require re-orientation to accurately represent the complex plane. Adjusting for orientation can result in new components, such as |y| and |x|, which can affect the interference fringes when the screen is close to the two slits. It is suggested that considering orientation is important as waves have a relationship with space and time, and adding them as scalar values may not
Nick.
The configuration and dimensions of any experiment are important in determining wave amplitudes. Then why are the orientations of complex waves not considered when they are added?

For example in two dimensions;

To find a resulting wave at a point P1 from two paths R1 & R2 we have Ψ=eI(kR1-ωt)+eI(kR2-ωt) so the amplitude being |Ψ|2.

However, paths R1 and R2 are not parallel they are separated at the arrival point P1 by an angle θ.

Why are the two waves not corrected to suit the arrival orientation so;
2|=(isin(kR2-ωt)+isin(kR1-ωt))2+(cos(kR2-ωt)cosθ+cos(kR1-ωt))2+(cos(kR2-ωt)sinθ)2

This translates the second wave into the co-ordinates of the first wave and provides some small corrections to the first wave. I.e. On a two slit experiment set up this is unlikely to make much of a difference as the length of R1 & R2 are so large that the angle θ will be tiny so it this tweak could be virtually ignored - although as the screen come close to the slits the effect would become considerable as θ becomes larger.

Since the example is 2D the complex planes are still additive without any adjustment but in 3D it would also require some re-orientation (sure the complex plane cannot be aligned to any I, j, k coordinates as it is in the complex Z plane - but I am sure someone will have thoughts...)

Any thoughts??

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the enormous response to this one I thought I might add a few more details. :smile:

Typical Amplitude Calculation
|Ψ|2=(ei(kR1-ωt)+ei(kR1-ωt))(ei(kR1-ωt)+ei(kR1-ωt))

Amplitude Calculation for adjusted orientation
|Ψ|2=(isin(kR2-ωt)+isin(kR1-ωt))2+(cos(kR2-ωt)cosθ+cos(kR1-ωt))2+(cos(kR2-ωt)sinθ)22

Where isin(kR2-ωt)+isin(kR1-ωt) is sum of the two imaginary parts of ei(kR1-ωt) at point P1 = |z|.

|y| = cos(kR2-ωt)sinθ
This is a whole new component not seen when adding the waves in a straight orientation. This small when θ is small and reaches it maxima at π/2.

|x| = cos(kR2-ωt)cosθ+cos(kR1-ωt)
This is subtly adjusted by cosθ to account for part of the wave being in the y axis.

then with a bit of Pythagoras; |x|2+|y|2+|z|2 = |Ψ|2

What would it yield?
Sticking with the 2D double slit example. It means when the screen is very close the interference fringes would distort or disappear...say if the screen is at the same distance as the two slits are separated so that θ is π/2 it means two at values (where |x|=1) that any value of the second wave ei(kR2-ωt) would yield the same |Ψ|2 value - ordinarily this would be sinusoidal.

What is the motivation?

As the waves have a relationship with space and time then I would have expected orientation to be important also - i.e. a vector quantity within some sort of configuration space. If the value of |Ψ| is merely a scalar value (which I guess is what is typically implied) then adding say two energy level values of the same type makes sense regardless of orientation. However, if the waves contain a momentum then it shouldn't it be some interesting vector quantity - so why isn't aligned to give the portion related to direction?

Any ideas...?

What is complex wave orientation correction?

Complex wave orientation correction is a mathematical technique used to correct for any distortion or misalignment in complex waveforms, such as those found in seismic data. It is used to improve the accuracy and reliability of data interpretation in fields such as geology and geophysics.

Why is complex wave orientation correction important?

Complex wave orientation correction is important because it allows for more accurate interpretation of complex waveforms. This can lead to a better understanding of geological structures and processes, and aid in making informed decisions in areas such as resource exploration and hazard assessment.

How does complex wave orientation correction work?

Complex wave orientation correction works by identifying and removing any biases or distortions in the data, such as rotation or shearing. This is achieved through mathematical algorithms that analyze the waveform and adjust it accordingly. The corrected data can then be used for further analysis and interpretation.

What are some common applications of complex wave orientation correction?

Complex wave orientation correction is commonly used in the fields of geology and geophysics, particularly in seismic data processing. It is also used in other areas such as medical imaging and telecommunications, where complex waveforms are present and accurate interpretation is crucial.

Are there any limitations to complex wave orientation correction?

While complex wave orientation correction is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be effective in correcting for certain types of distortions or artifacts in the data, and it relies on accurate initial data. It also requires a certain level of expertise and may be computationally intensive, which can be a limitation for some applications.