Complexity Analysis problem of an Algorithm.

In summary: You still have to solve the other subproblem, and you don't know how many vertices it has. In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of symmetric matrices for graphs G and H. The graph G-x is created by removing vertex x from G, and it has vertices that are adjacent and non-adjacent to x. The matrix A_x is the symmetric matrix for G-x, and it can be split into matrices C and D, which represent the vertices adjacent and non-adjacent to x, respectively. It is noted that changing C or D will also change the matrix E. If G is isomorphic to H, then there exists a vertex u in H such that (G-x) is isomorphic to (H-u
secondprime
##A,B## are symmetric matrices of graphs ##G,H## respectively. For ##x \in G##,consider the graph ##(G-x)##, it has vertices adjacent to ##x## and vertices non adjacent to ##x##.## A_x## is the symmetric matrix of the graph ##(G-x)##, where ##C## is the symmetric matrix of the graph created by vertices of ##(G-x)## which are adjacent to ##x## and ##D## is the symmetric matrix of graph the created by vertices of ##(G-x)## which are not adjacent to ##x##.

## A_x =

\left( \begin{array}{cc}

C & E \\

E^{T} & D\\

\end{array} \right) ##

It should be noted, that-

1. Interchanging/swapping any two rows(or columns) of ##C## does not affect matrix ##D## (and vice versa) .
2. Any change in ##C## or ##D## or both ##C## and ##D## changes matrix ##E##.

If ##G \simeq H ## then there exists ##u \in H## so that, ##(G-x)\simeq (H-u)##, the matrix of ##(H-u)## is ##B_u##, where ## B_u= \left( \begin{array}{cc}

S & R \\

R^{T} & Q\\

\end{array} \right)##

Consider the situation where ##S \neq C,D \neq Q##. Since ##(G-x)\simeq (H-u)## ,so, there exists a permutation matrix ##P## ,so that ##PQ=D##.

Once ##Q## is arranged exactly like ##D## then ##C## can be arranged in linear/ polynomial time using the arrangement of rows of ##E## because after ##Q=D##, the rows of ##E## and ##R## would be same but arranged in different order. So, arrange the order of rows of ##R## like ##Q##, it will make ##S = C##.

One of the ##S,Q## has vertices ##<\frac{n}{2}## where ## n=|(G-x)|=|(H-u)|##, consider the smallest matrix to find the permutation matrix ##P##.

So, to determine whether ##(G-x)\simeq (H-u)## is true or not,there are ##n## vertices to check. Let, the time complexity to find this permutation matrix ##P## is ##K(n/2)##. So, the complexity would be-

##n*K(n/2)##(omitting the time complexity of rearranging ##E## as it has less growth than ##K##)

But recursion of above method can be used to minimize the complexity of ##K(n/2)## for smallest matrix, say, ##Q##, in that case,complexity would be,

##n*n/2* K(n/4)##

Using recursion, this gives a bound ##\frac{n^{log_2(n)}}{2^{\sum log_2(n)}}##.Is this bound correct? if not, what is the complexity of above algorithm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
secondprime said:
Once ##Q## is arranged exactly like ##D## then ##C## can be arranged in linear/ polynomial time using the arrangement of rows of ##E## because after ##Q=D##, the rows of ##E## and ##R## would be same but arranged in different order. So, arrange the order of rows of ##R## like ##Q##, it will make ##S = C##.
In the worst case, all columns of E and R are the same or at least form a few large groups, then you reduced your problem size by 1/2, but you have to check n nodes to do so.

"In the worst case, all columns of E and R are the same"
or rows??
correct. but-
in that case you don't not need to divide ##D,Q## divide ##C,S## again, if you find the proper arrangement of ##C,S##it would provide proper ##D,Q## as earlier

secondprime said:
Once ##Q## is arranged exactly like ##D## then ##C## can be arranged in linear/ polynomial time using the arrangement of rows of ##E## because after ##Q=D##, the rows of ##E## and ##R## would be same but arranged in different order. So, arrange the order of rows of ##R## like ##Q##, it will make ##S = C##
it can be checked in poly/linear time that whether E, R has all row same or not.

"but you have to check n nodes to do so."
not understood why you said that, adjacent and non adjacent are in 2 different group, you would not seek a vertex (which is in a group of adjacent to u/x, i.e in C) in a gorup of non adjacent to x/u, i.e in D.

Last edited:
secondprime said:
"In the worst case, all columns of E and R are the same"
or rows??
correct. but-
in that case you don't not need to divide ##D,Q## divide ##C,S## again, if you find the proper arrangement of ##C,S##it would provide proper ##D,Q## as earlier
It would not, as it would make the subproblems C<->S and D<->Q completely independent. Or at least split them into groups.
it can be checked in poly/linear time that whether E, R has all row same or not.
Sure, but checking that is not much progress on its own.

"but you have to check n nodes to do so."
not understood why you said that, adjacent and non adjacent are in 2 different group, you would not seek a vertex (which is in a group of adjacent to u/x, i.e in C) in a gorup of non adjacent to x/u, i.e in D.
You don't know whether x and u fit together or not.

mfb said:
You don't know whether x and u fit together or not.
yes, I don't know, so I am going to check all possible combination. If you follow a brute force search, then you would have to try all n vertices. But as there is no need to look for a vertex of D in C, the search is cut down to<= n/2

"Sure, but checking that is not much progress on its own."

I meant that this checking would spare the the checking of Q, instead of that , start S again.

mfb said:
as it would make the subproblems C<->S and D<->Q completely independent.

you are right again sir, but E, R depends on C,S,D,Q and vice versa, once you figure out S like C, you will get D=Q with the help of E,R as written for Q,D and C,S in the first post.

secondprime said:
yes, I don't know, so I am going to check all possible combination. If you follow a brute force search, then you would have to try all n vertices. But as there is no need to look for a vertex of D in C, the search is cut down to<= n/2
The search is cut down to <n/2 for one subproblem.

So what you are doing:
1) Pick x, pick some u with the same number of edges as x. If they don't match you'll find out later, then you have to pick a different u, up to n times.
2) make C,D,S,Q, without loss of generality let's assume D is smaller than C
3) identify nodes in D and Q with each other, this is the general problem but reduced to < n/2.
4) sort E and R, make groups of nodes that are indistinguishable based on E and R.
5) identify groups in C and S with each other, this is the general problem but reduced to <= n-2.

Both steps 3 and 5 lead to recursion, in the worst case n-2 vertices are left in step 5: this happens if you pick x and u to have one edge (or n-2 edges), and if the single vertex connected to it (or the single vertex not connected to it) is either connected to no other vertex or to all other n-2 vertices.

If step 1 fails, pick the next u. If there is no u left, go one step up in the recursion depth.

Doing something up to n times to reduce the number of vertices by 2 gives a horrible complexity.

mfb said:
The search is cut down to <n/2 for one subproblem.

in the worst case n-2 vertices are left in step 5: this happens if you pick x and u to have one edge (or n-2 edges), and if the single vertex connected to it (or the single vertex not connected to it) is either connected to no other vertex or to all other n-2 vertices..

:smile: Sir, in this case, that particular vertex is distinguishable and don't need the described algorithm!

You have been patient with me, I appreciate that. I am going to ask you a favor, it would be a great help.

just consider the below case- Assume that, at every step, all rows and columns of E would be distinguishable , in that case, would you agree with the given upper bound?? If not, please write down the reasons.

An upper bound for a special case is pointless. It might be true, but that is the same as saying "this sorting algorithm is linear as upper bound if we start with a sorted list".

I made a presentation according to the algorithm I described, click the below link,
https://www.academia.edu/11354697/Graph_regular_Isomorphism_in_n_O_log2_n_
Ignore the complexity analysis( which is bigger than the above post).

What is complexity analysis of an algorithm?

Complexity analysis is the process of evaluating the performance of an algorithm in terms of the time and space resources required to execute it. It involves measuring the growth rate of the algorithm's time and space requirements as the input size increases.

Why is complexity analysis important?

Complexity analysis helps us understand how efficient an algorithm is and how it will perform for large inputs. This information is crucial in determining which algorithm is the best choice for solving a particular problem.

What are the different types of complexity analysis?

The two main types of complexity analysis are time complexity and space complexity. Time complexity measures the number of operations an algorithm requires to solve a problem, while space complexity measures the amount of memory needed.

What is the notation used in complexity analysis?

The most commonly used notation in complexity analysis is Big O notation. It represents the upper bound on the growth rate of an algorithm and is used to compare the efficiency of different algorithms.

How do we determine the complexity of an algorithm?

To determine the complexity of an algorithm, we can use techniques such as calculating the number of operations or memory accesses, constructing a time or space complexity graph, or using mathematical formulas to express the complexity in terms of the input size.