Components working at a particular time

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a question about a system with 10 components that have different probabilities of working at a particular time. The expected number of working components is calculated by adding the inverse of each component's probability. However, since the status of components is independent, it is not possible to determine the sum of their probabilities.
oyth94
Hello .Sorry for all the questions I am asking...but I have another one I would like to seek help for.:

Suppose a system has 10 components and that a particular time the jth component is working with probability 1/j for j= 1,2,...10. How many components do you expect to be working at that particular time?

All I have done so far is calculating the probability for all 10 components and I know that the sum of all possible probabilities is 1.

But how should I solve the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
oyth94 said:
Hello .Sorry for all the questions I am asking...but I have another one I would like to seek help for.:

Suppose a system has 10 components and that a particular time the jth component is working with probability 1/j for j= 1,2,...10. How many components do you expect to be working at that particular time?

All I have done so far is calculating the probability for all 10 components and I know that the sum of all possible probabilities is 1.

But how should I solve the question?

The expected number of working components is...

$\displaystyle E\{n\} = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + ... + \frac{1}{10} = H_{10}\ (1)$ Since the status of components are independent r.v. nothing can be said about the sum of their probabilities... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Components working at a particular time

1. How do components work at a particular time?

Components work at a particular time by following a set of instructions or functions that are triggered by an event or user interaction. These instructions dictate the behavior and actions of the component, allowing it to perform its intended function.

2. What factors can affect the functioning of components at a particular time?

There are several factors that can affect the functioning of components at a particular time, such as the quality of the code, compatibility with other components or systems, and external factors like network connectivity or hardware limitations. Bugs or errors in the code can also impact the functioning of components.

3. How can I ensure that components work correctly at a specific time?

To ensure that components work correctly at a specific time, it is essential to thoroughly test the code and identify and fix any bugs or errors. It is also crucial to consider all possible scenarios and edge cases that may affect the functioning of the component and account for them in the code.

4. Can components stop working at a particular time?

Yes, components can stop working at a particular time due to various reasons, such as changes in the code, compatibility issues, or external factors like network or server failures. It is essential to regularly monitor and maintain components to prevent any unexpected disruptions in their functioning.

5. How can I troubleshoot if a component is not working at a particular time?

If a component is not working at a particular time, you can troubleshoot the issue by checking for any errors in the code, ensuring compatibility with other components or systems, and testing for any external factors that may be affecting the component's functioning. You can also consult documentation or seek help from other developers to identify and resolve the issue.