Odds of Winning Lottery: Expected Reward & Profit

In summary, the conversation discusses the odds of winning and expected profits for playing a particular lottery game. The formula for calculating the expected profit is found to be incorrect and the correct formula using the multinomial distribution is explained. It is also noted that lotteries do not offer volume discounts and are a losing proposition. The conversation concludes with the realization that the more tickets one buys, the less profit they are expected to make, leading to the question of why people would continue to buy lottery tickets.
kelly0303
Hello! My friend got me a lottery ticket (which I didn't win) and I decided to check the odds of winning for that particular game. The prizes for this game are: 5, 10, 15, 20, 50,100, 500,1000, 5000,1000000 ($) and the probability for each of the prizes is 1 over: 10, 10, 150, 50, 150, 131.63, 1636.36, 6545.45, 72000, 3276000. If the probability of winning a given price is p, then the probability of winning once by playing n times is: ##p = 1-(1-p)^n##. So the expected reward is ##\sum_i (prize_i \times 1-(1-p_i)^n)##. So I did the math and the expected reward is for increasing values of n, starting from 1: 3.9, 7.7, 11.3, 14.8, 18.1, and given that the price of the ticket is 5$ the expected profit is: -1.1, -2.3, -3.7, -5.2, -6.9. This means that the more tickets you buy, the less you are expected to gain. Am I doing something wrong, because this makes no sense. I expect that the more you buy a product, the more convenient it should become for you (for example the product discounts when you buy more at once). It's like buying something from a shop for 10$ and then every time you buy it again it's 5$ more expensive. Why would I buy more than 1 ticket? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations; you’ve discovered an essential truth behind gambling. It’s perfectly natural for the expected profit to be negative; that’s their entire business model. If the expected profit were positive, the ones funding the lottery would be losing money.

Also, it’s good that you’re curious about this, but the formula you gave is incorrect in several ways. The probability you gave only accounts for the case of winning 1 time, and it is also missing parentheses (though I believe you had them in your calculations). It will be approximately true for small values of ##p_i,## though.

Firstly, suppose the cost of a ticket is ##C##, and consider the simple case where there is only one prize ##X##. The expected profit from a single ticket is ##Xp-C,## where ##p## is the chance of winning. The outcome of each ticket is independent (unless you buy a stupid amount of tickets, in which case this is only approximately true), so the profit for buying ##n## tickets is just ##n(pX-C).##

More formally, the number of wins after buying ##n## tickets follows a binomial distribution, which has expected value ##np.## Multiply that by the prize and subtract the costs to get the expected net profit.

In the case of multiple prizes, if each ticket nets you at most one prize, the correct formula to use is the multinomial distribution.

Likes BWV
It's up front about being a losing proposition, even without taking into account the extra costs like taxes and the fact that the large prizes are often annuities, not cash.
No, I've never seen a lottery offering a volume discount. It's a tax on stupid people. Why discount that?

kelly0303 said:
It's like buying something from a shop for 10$ and then every time you buy it again it's 5$ more expensive.

No, it's like buying something worth $5 from a shop that costs $10. Every time you buy one, you lose the same, not more or less.

Likes suremarc
Vanadium 50 said:
No, it's like buying something worth $5 from a shop that costs $10. Every time you buy one, you lose the same, not more or less.
Right! I guess I expressed myself the wrong way. The main point is that, for some reason, I thought that the more you play the higher chances to make a profit you have (hence I thought this is why many people buy tickets every week). Of course the profit would always be negative, as the lottery wants to earn money, but I assumed that the magnitude of this negative number would at least get smaller the more you play. By checking these odds (and as you said in your example), the more I play the less profit I make. And this makes me wonder why would I (or anyone) buy lottery tickets at all, knowing that I would literally lose more, the more I play.

kelly0303 said:
Right! I guess I expressed myself the wrong way. The main point is that, for some reason, I thought that the more you play the higher chances to make a profit you have (hence I thought this is why many people buy tickets every week). Of course the profit would always be negative, as the lottery wants to earn money, but I assumed that the magnitude of this negative number would at least get smaller the more you play. By checking these odds (and as you said in your example), the more I play the less profit I make. And this makes me wonder why would I (or anyone) buy lottery tickets at all, knowing that I would literally lose more, the more I play.
Imagine a scenario where a) you feel there is no hope of improving your personal circumstances and are condemned to a life of relative poverty for you and your children; b) for a small weekly sum, you can buy a small chance of winning a large sum of money that would transform your life; c) this allows you better to accept your relative poverty in the hope of a rich life some day; d) you may even believe that it's inevitable you will win it one day.

Now mister the day the lottery I win I ain't ever going to ride in no used car again - Bruce Springsteen

• Haha
Likes MathematicalPhysicist, hutchphd, suremarc and 1 other person
PeroK said:
you may even believe that it's inevitable you will win it one day.

Technically it is, provided you live long enough.

My thinking is that your odds of winning are the same to within six digits whether you buy a ticket or not.

• Wow
Likes suremarc
suremarc said:
Congratulations; you’ve discovered an essential truth behind gambling. It’s perfectly natural for the expected
kelly0303 said:
Life is a gamble, you lose some and then... it's game over.

What is the expected reward for winning the lottery?

The expected reward for winning the lottery is the total amount of money that you could potentially win. This includes the jackpot amount as well as any smaller prizes that may be available.

How are the odds of winning the lottery calculated?

The odds of winning the lottery are calculated by taking the total number of possible number combinations and dividing it by the number of winning number combinations. This gives you the probability of winning.

What is the expected profit when playing the lottery?

The expected profit when playing the lottery is calculated by subtracting the cost of purchasing a ticket from the expected reward. This takes into account the likelihood of winning and the potential payout.

Can the odds of winning the lottery be improved?

No, the odds of winning the lottery cannot be improved. They are set by the lottery organization and are based on the number of possible number combinations and the number of winning combinations.

What are the chances of winning the lottery multiple times?

The chances of winning the lottery multiple times are extremely low. Each lottery drawing is independent of the previous one, so each time you play, the odds of winning remain the same.