Composition of flue gases by volume on a wet basis and dry basis

dbomb1203
Homework Statement
A fuel gas consists of 75% butane (C4H10), 10% propane (C3H8) and 15% butene (C4H8) by volume.
It is to be fed to the combustion chamber in 10% excess air at 25ºC, where it is completely burnt to carbon dioxide and water. The flue gases produced are to be used to generate 5 bar steam from water at 90ºC

(e) Determine the composition of the flue gases by volume (assuming the inlet air is dry) :
(i) on a wet basis
(ii) on a dry basis.

I'm aware that there is a similar question already posted from 6+ years ago. I have read that particular forum and seem to still struggle.
Relevant Equations
Balanced reactions
Butane C4H10 + 6.5O2 = 4CO2 + 5H20
Propane C3H8 + 5O2 = 3C02 + 4H2O
Butene C4H8 + 6O2 = 4CO2 + 4H20
Butane
0.75mol of C4H10

0.75 x C4 = 3mol of CO2
0.75 x H5 = 3.75mol of H2O
0.75 x 6.5O2 = 4.875mol of O2

Propane
0.10mol of C3H8

0.10 x C3 = 0.3mol of CO2
0.10 x H4 = 0.4mol of H2O
0.10 x 5O2 = 0.5mol of O2

Butene
0.15mol of C4H8

0.15 x C4 = 0.6mol of CO2
0.15 x H4 = 0.6mol of H2O
0.15 x 6O2 = 0.19mol of O2

We know, Oxygen = 6.3mol + 10% excess air = 1.1 x 6.3mol = 6.93mol.

I know I need to find the value of Nitrogen. I've seen on other threads, that they have got a value of 26.07mol...but I'm struggling to understand how they've achieved this.

This is as far as I can manage to get...Please help me with some advise!!

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem has appeared previously in PhysicsForums. Please use Search.

What is the composition of flue gases by volume on a wet basis?

The composition of flue gases by volume on a wet basis typically includes water vapor, nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and other trace gases.

What is the composition of flue gases by volume on a dry basis?

The composition of flue gases by volume on a dry basis excludes the water vapor content, focusing solely on the gases present in the flue gas without considering the moisture content.

Why is it important to analyze the composition of flue gases?

Analyzing the composition of flue gases is crucial for understanding the environmental impact of combustion processes, as well as for optimizing energy efficiency and reducing emissions of harmful pollutants.

How is the composition of flue gases measured?

The composition of flue gases can be measured using various analytical techniques such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, or infrared spectroscopy, which allow for the quantification of different gas components present in the flue gas.

What factors can affect the composition of flue gases?

The composition of flue gases can be influenced by factors such as the type of fuel burned, combustion temperature, air-fuel ratio, and the presence of pollutants control devices, which can all impact the concentrations of gases present in the flue gas emissions.