Compound Epicyclical gear system

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Imhotep ME Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear System
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of calculating a 1:12 ratio gear train using epicyclical gears. The participants shared links and resources to help understand the concept, but there was no single comprehensive explanation. Ultimately, the issue was solved using a different approach.
Imhotep ME Student
Trying to calculate how to produce a 1:12 ratio gear train with epicyclical gears. Can anyone send some equations or links to help explain how to do this? I have looked in textbooks and online and found many examples of achieving this with a simple compound spur gear train with 3 or less stages but nothing on how it works with epicyclical gears in series.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many possible configurations for a planetary train, and no single description fits them all. Baluncore has sent you a good link, but it is not exhaustive. You need to narrow the range of what you want to investigate, then maybe ask more questions if necessary.

Thanks to all who took time out to reply.
In the end we ran out of time and found another way to solve the issue
Figured i'd keep you updated :)

Imhotep ME Student said:
...and found another way to solve the issue
Would you be so kind as to let us know what you did? Afterall, we like to learn too. Thanks.

Likes Bystander

1. What is a compound epicyclical gear system?

A compound epicyclical gear system is a type of gear system that consists of multiple smaller gears (called planet gears) that revolve around a central sun gear, which in turn rotates around a fixed ring gear. This arrangement allows for complex gear ratios and torque transfer.

2. How does a compound epicyclical gear system work?

The planet gears in a compound epicyclical gear system are arranged in a circular pattern around the sun gear. As the sun gear rotates, it causes the planet gears to rotate around it, which in turn causes the ring gear to rotate. This produces a combination of rotational and planetary motion, allowing for a wide range of gear ratios.

3. What are the advantages of using a compound epicyclical gear system?

One of the main advantages of a compound epicyclical gear system is its high gear ratio capability. This means that it can achieve a large change in rotational speed with a relatively small input torque. It also has a compact design, making it suitable for use in a variety of applications.

4. Where are compound epicyclical gear systems commonly used?

Compound epicyclical gear systems are commonly used in automotive transmissions, where they provide a wide range of gear ratios to allow for efficient driving at different speeds. They are also used in industrial machinery, robotics, and other mechanical systems.

5. What are some challenges associated with compound epicyclical gear systems?

One of the main challenges of using a compound epicyclical gear system is the complex design and assembly process. Additionally, as the number of gears increases, the system becomes more prone to wear and noise. It also requires precise alignment and maintenance to ensure optimal performance.