Comprehensive math books for summer self-study

In summary: BTW, I'm majoring in physics too.In summary, the person is undecided about which book to buy and is unsure about what his goals are for learning math.
ahmed markhoos
Hello,

I'm planning to spend my summer studying some physics and maths books.

Physics books aren't my problem, math books are. I took " calculus 1/2 & differential equations " till now and a material of mathematical methods (vector analysis/general coordinates/complex/gamma-beta functions/ differential equations).

I was thinking about one of two books:
1- Mathematical methods in the physical sciences By: Mary Boas (We used it for mathematical methods).
2- Mathematics: Its content, methods and meaning By: A. D. Aleksandrov , A. N. Kolmogorov ,M. A. Lavrent’ev.

They say they are both good, but I'm really hesitated between the two and between other good books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are very very different books, both in style and in contents. Maybe you should tell us what your goals are? Why do you want to learn math?

Likes ahmed markhoos
micromass said:
Those are very very different books, both in style and in contents. Maybe you should tell us what your goals are? Why do you want to learn math?

Thank you for your reply.

I have actually two main goals:
1- I want to prepare myself mathematically for subjects like quantum/statistical and physics as whole.
2- I'm interested in math even if it's not related with physics.

-- Sometimes I get really lost when I try to recognize my feelings toward math. I really like it as a subject that has no boundaries except rationality, but at the same time most of what they teach in math majors "or maybe a big branch of math" are bunch of meaningless formulas and rigid symbols-- at least this is their way of teaching. I really don't like that kind of math, things like Brouwer fixed point theorem, combinatorics really attract me to math. actually I think this is why I'm majoring physics. LoL, anyway it's just thoughts.

If you want to prepare for QM or stat mech, then I recommend studying linear algebra and probability. Boas should be good for that. But you might also want to study it more rigorously (which would be helpful for QM). Treil has a free textbook that is really good: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html (I hope you are a bit familiar with matrices and basic vectors).

Likes ahmed markhoos

1. What are comprehensive math books for summer self-study?

Comprehensive math books for summer self-study are textbooks or study guides that cover a wide range of math topics and are designed for students to use on their own during the summer break.

2. Why should I use a comprehensive math book for summer self-study?

Using a comprehensive math book for summer self-study can help you review and reinforce important math concepts, improve your problem-solving skills, and prepare you for the upcoming school year.

3. How do I choose the right comprehensive math book for summer self-study?

When choosing a comprehensive math book for summer self-study, consider your current math level, your goals for the summer, and the topics covered in the book. It's also helpful to read reviews and sample chapters to determine if the book is a good fit for you.

4. Can I use a comprehensive math book for summer self-study even if I struggle with math?

Yes, comprehensive math books for summer self-study can be beneficial for students who struggle with math. These books often provide clear explanations and practice problems to help build a strong foundation in math.

5. Are there any resources that can supplement a comprehensive math book for summer self-study?

Absolutely. Online resources, such as instructional videos, practice quizzes, and interactive games, can enhance your understanding of math concepts and make self-studying more engaging and effective.