Compressed air flow rate from pipe to container

In summary: This can be done manually or with a controller that can provide data. Once you have that data, you can then use various equation to calculate the flow.
Jrbts11
Hello All,I was given a problem today that I could use some guidance on. I have a compressed air pipe flowing into a container. This container has a pressure of 5 psi while the pipe has a pressure of 90 psi. There is a valve that controls when the air is released into the vessel and only allows three seconds worth of compressed air to enter the vessel at a time. My question is what is the volumetric flow rate into the tank during these intervals in Gal/second. The pipe diameter is 1.5" and the compressed air temperature is 70 °F. Any equations or guidance would be helpful, if there's something that I may have left out just post and Ill try to answer as soon as possible. I may be able to collect data to determine other parameters also. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The flow is a function of the system's geometry and line restrictions. It could be as easy as showing the valve is choked and doing the analysis on the valve. But if the valve is a full port ball valve, that isn't going to be the case and you need to analyze the entire piping run.

Piping flow analysis isn't something you can throw an equation at and get an answer easily though. It requires some iteration and understanding of how various components may result in the choking of flow at one point or other. If you could detail what your system looks like, it would be fairly easy to do an analysis on it. By that I mean line lengths, pipe ID, elbows and other bends, reducers, expanders, valve flow coefficients, etc... Enough information for someone to build your exact system.

The easiest way might be to simply buy a rotometer for $50 and slap it on the outlet to measure flow.

1. What is compressed air flow rate from pipe to container?

The compressed air flow rate from pipe to container refers to the amount of compressed air that can be delivered from a pipe to a container within a specific amount of time, typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM).

2. How is the compressed air flow rate calculated?

The compressed air flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe by the velocity of the air, typically measured in feet per minute (FPM), and then converting to CFM. Other factors such as pressure, temperature, and pipe length may also affect the flow rate.

3. What factors can affect the compressed air flow rate from pipe to container?

The compressed air flow rate can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the pressure and temperature of the air, and any obstructions or restrictions in the pipe. Additionally, the type of compressor and the condition of the equipment can also impact the flow rate.

4. How can I increase the compressed air flow rate from pipe to container?

To increase the compressed air flow rate from pipe to container, you can use a larger diameter pipe, reduce any obstructions or restrictions, increase the pressure and temperature of the air, and ensure that the compressor and equipment are functioning properly. Regular maintenance and proper sizing of equipment can also help improve the flow rate.

5. Why is it important to measure the compressed air flow rate from pipe to container?

Measuring the compressed air flow rate from pipe to container is important for several reasons. It can help ensure that the system is functioning efficiently and identify any potential issues or leaks. It can also help with proper equipment sizing and energy management, which can lead to cost savings. Additionally, knowing the flow rate can help with troubleshooting and maintenance of the system.