Compressed air pressure vs hydrostatic pressure

In summary: Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering if there is a standard way of measuring the pressure in the compressed air line.I'm working with a contractor that is supplying compressed air to a subsea pump.The compressor is able to create a pressure differential of 8.5 bars, which is enough to overcome the discharge absolute counter-pressure of 6.543 bars induced by the atmospheric pressure on the sea surface (1.013 bars) plus the hydrostatic pressure in the 55-meter water column (5.53 bars, considering sea water density of 1025 kg/m^3).My question is, how do I determine the pressure in the compressed air line?
shberry
TL;DR Summary
Calculation to confirm the difference between a pressure in a compressed air supply hose and the pressure imposed at differing depths of water.
Hi all, I'm new on here and will start off with what I think is a simple clarification. I'm questioning my workings due to previous work being completed by another engineer and thought this was the best place to ask.

Essentially we have compressed air being supplied through a hose, the hose drops to the seabed. To ensure I won't have an issue at the seabed, I'm looking to confirm compressed air supply pressure vs the hydrostatic pressure from the sea. So I have the following...

Air goes into the compressor at 1bara, comes out at 9.5bara. With the various losses in the hoses etc we will be down to 7.5bara. For the sub sea pressure, we are working at 55mtrs, therefore 5.5bar + 1.0bar atmos = 6.5bara. That gives us +1.0bar in the compressed air line which is fine.

The reason for questioning is the previous calculations have used the compressed air out using barg. This is not so good as loosing 1bar on the compressed air means it now only equals the sub sea pressure. To me it doesn't seem correct to use barg on one side and bara on the other? Or am I missing something and the sub sea pressure is actually 6.5barg not bara??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct.

If you use gauge pressure it must be referred to air at sea level.
Absolute pressure should be used when the compression ratio of a pump is being considered.

Likes Lnewqban and shberry
Thanks for the confirmation Baluncore

shberry said:
... Air goes into the compressor at 1bara, comes out at 9.5bara. With the various losses in the hoses etc we will be down to 7.5bara.
Welcome, shberry! :cool:

It is important to be sure that those measured pressures upstream and downstream of the compressor are absolute.
Normally, those values are measured by instruments that use the actual atmospheric pressure as zero reference.
To produce an absolute pressure sensor, the manufacturer of the instrument seals a high vacuum behind the sensing diaphragm.
Another hint: Sea divers use manometric units as meters sea water (msw), which are defined as equal to one tenth of a bar.

If your compressor can actually create a pressure differential of 8.5 bars, it should be able to overcome the discharge absolute counter-pressure of 6.543 bars induced by the atmospheric pressure on the sea surface (1.013 bars) plus the hydrostatic pressure in the 55-meter water column (5.53 bars, considering sea water density of 1025 kg/m^3).

Hi Lnewqban, thanks for your reply. To my knowledge the compressors have never been checked using bara equipment. They have been in use for many years so could have been before my time, during my time we've only used calibrated gauges showing 0 at atmosphere. It's only recently that we've got involved with the subsea work. Although we're not responsible for the subsea side of the system, my own curiosity has driven me to check what we're up against.

shberry said:
Hi Lnewqban, thanks for your reply.
..., during my time we've only used calibrated gauges showing 0 at atmosphere.
You are welcome. :smile:

How did you determine the following values?

shberry said:
Air goes into the compressor at 1bara, comes out at 9.5bara. With the various losses in the hoses etc we will be down to 7.5bara.

The good news is (unless you need to worry about the strength of containment) the capability of the compressor will be underestimated by using absolute instead of gauge pressure in this context. So a little more margin, right?.

I'm rounding the numbers to simplify, but I'm working 1 bara at sea level. We know the pressure we can produce is 8.5barg by gauge readings, therefore 9.5bara.

I've been using this equation for the hose losses which is in an excel spreadsheet using imperial units (oil field norm).
1583740807884.png

but I have noticed that this doesn't take height difference into account. So maybe I should be using my usual...

1583740795913.png

Just a quick update on this one, disregarding what I said above regarding pressure loss calc.

I've updated my calculations to complete metric using
1583948123773.png

Which is showing okay along the length of hoses. If anyone is interested I'll post the excel file.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the difference between compressed air pressure and hydrostatic pressure?

Compressed air pressure is the force exerted by air that has been compressed into a smaller volume. Hydrostatic pressure, on the other hand, is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How is compressed air pressure used in everyday life?

Compressed air pressure is used in a variety of applications, including powering pneumatic tools, inflating tires and sports equipment, and operating air compressors for industrial processes.

3. How does hydrostatic pressure affect objects submerged in water?

Objects submerged in water experience hydrostatic pressure due to the weight of the water above them. This pressure increases with depth, and can cause objects to compress or deform if they are not strong enough to withstand it.

4. Can compressed air pressure be dangerous?

Yes, compressed air pressure can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause serious injuries, such as ruptured eardrums or lung damage, if it is released suddenly or at high pressures.

5. How is hydrostatic pressure used in engineering and construction?

Hydrostatic pressure is an important factor in designing and constructing structures that will be submerged in water, such as dams, bridges, and underwater tunnels. Engineers must take into account the pressure exerted by the water to ensure the structural integrity of these projects.