Compressed Sensing - Questions from Forum Member

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressed
In summary, the article discusses why we built a neuromorphic robot to play Foosball, and how compressed sensing can be used to improve the quality of the signal while reducing the amount of data that needs to be collected.
fog37
Hello,

Anyone on the forum using or familiar with the topic of compressed sensing? I have some related questions.

Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
Not me, but just a few hours ago I ran across a recent article that may help in:

SPECTRUM magazine March 2022, pg. 44
(https://spectrum.ieee.org/robotic-foosball-table).

"Why we built a neuromorphic robot to play Foosball."
by Gregory Cohen of International Centre for Neuromorphic Systems located at Western Sydney University, Australia.

The pixels in a neuromorphic sensors - also called event based imagers - report only changes in illumination and only in the instant when changes happen. They don't produce any data when nothing is changing in front of them.
Startups Prophesee and IniVation already have brands of event-based imagers on the market.

Hope it helps at least a little bit!
Tom

Last edited:
fog37 said:
Hello,

Anyone on the forum using or familiar with the topic of compressed sensing? I have some related questions.

Thank you!
I am basically familiar with it from a high level (basically I've read the Wikipedia articles, done a small amount of literature review, but have never used it, and don't have a complete understanding of the math).

Just ask the questions I guess.

Although, maybe the people that can give good answers are in another sub-forum though (depending on the question), since compressed sensing is more of a topic in theoretical and applied mathematics. When it comes to using it, it will depend on what you will use it for. In some cases applying compressed sensing theory to an application domain is non-trivial, or not yet mature enough. It's a major topic of ongoing research, with lots of funding being put into it currently to help address big data challenges in various science domains.

Last edited:
Hello jarvis323! Thank you for your help.

My basic understanding is that we can sub-sampled a signal (i.e. capture less digital samples than Nyquist theorem requires) and still be able to reconstruct the original signal (a very good approximation of it), if the signal has structure, is compressible, and sparse in some domain (i.e. under some basis like the Fourier basis, the cosine basis, the wavelet basis, etc.)
In general, we have a continuous signal ##s(t)## and we sample it to obtain its discrete version ##x[n]##. To reconstruct ##x(t)##, we need ##N## samples by sampling at the frequency $$f=\frac {1}{2BW}$$. We then use interpolation to reconstruct ##x(t)## from its collected discrete samples.

In the case of compressible signals (lossy compression), we later discard the data that is less relevant and still reconstruct the original signal ##x(t)##. That is what happens jpeg, mp3, etc.
In compressed sensing, we directly capture the signal information that matters. That is cool.
This leads to solving an under-determined linear system of equations: $$ y= \Phi x$$ where ##x## is the original discrete signal, ##\Phi## is the random sampling matrix, ##y## is a vector with the measured samples. The signal ##x## is equal to ##x = \Psi \times s ## where ##\Psi## is a matrix containing basis vector and ##s## is a sparse vector...The goal is to find ##s##! Do we need to know the basis ##\Psi## under which the signal ##x(t)## is sparse a priori?
Eventually, the problem to solve is $$y = \Phi \Psi s$$ The matrix ##\Phi## is a random matrix...What kind of randomness are we taking about? We are essentially randomly subsampling the signal ##x[n]##...

Am I on the right track?

Hi fog37. I'm afraid you're probably beyond me already in the mathematical understanding of compressed sensing. I might be able to help, but I'd have to do my own learning first and don't have the time now. I think the math subforums might be a better bet for now unless anyone esle here can answer your questions.

Likes fog37
No worries! Thanks anyway.

1. What is compressed sensing?

Compressed sensing is a signal processing technique that allows for the reconstruction of a signal from a small number of measurements or samples. It is based on the idea that many signals are sparse or compressible in some domain, meaning they can be represented by a small number of coefficients. By exploiting this sparsity, compressed sensing can accurately reconstruct a signal from a small number of measurements, reducing the amount of data required for signal processing.

2. How does compressed sensing work?

Compressed sensing works by taking advantage of the sparsity of signals in some domain, such as time or frequency. The signal is first measured using a small number of random projections. These measurements are then used to reconstruct the signal using mathematical algorithms, such as convex optimization techniques or greedy algorithms. The key is to choose the right measurement matrix and reconstruction algorithm that can accurately recover the signal from the limited measurements.

3. What are the applications of compressed sensing?

Compressed sensing has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, video and image compression, wireless communications, and radar and sonar systems. It has also been used in fields such as astronomy, geophysics, and biology. Compressed sensing is particularly useful in applications where data acquisition is costly, time-consuming, or limited, as it can significantly reduce the amount of data needed for accurate signal reconstruction.

4. What are the advantages of compressed sensing?

The main advantage of compressed sensing is its ability to accurately reconstruct signals from a small number of measurements. This leads to reduced data storage and transmission requirements, faster data acquisition, and lower costs. Compressed sensing also has the potential to improve the quality and resolution of signals, as it can reduce the effects of noise and improve the sparsity of the measured signal.

5. Are there any limitations of compressed sensing?

One limitation of compressed sensing is that it requires a signal to be sparse or compressible in some domain. If a signal is not sparse, then compressed sensing will not be effective. Additionally, finding the optimal measurement matrix and reconstruction algorithm for a specific signal can be challenging. Compressed sensing is also susceptible to measurement noise and requires careful consideration of the trade-off between the number of measurements and the accuracy of the reconstruction.