Compressible air flow from a tank through a regulator

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the volume of air that can pass through a regulator before the pressure drops below a certain value. The speaker is unsure if Boyle's Law can be used due to the compressed nature of the air, but it is applicable regardless of how the pressure in the tank is reduced. The overall goal is to calculate the thrust provided by the air in different tanks and regulators.
gl96
This is probably a simple question but I am really struggling as to where to start.
We have a tank of compressed air,
Volume of tank (V1) = 0.2litres
Pressure of tank (P1) = 206.8 bar

Regulator Pressure (P2) = 58.6 bar

I would like to find the volume of air that can pass through the regulator before the pressure drops below the 58.6 bar value (i.e. when the output pressure is no longer constant). I assume I couldn't use boyles law for this due to the fact that the air is compressed/compressible or would the flow between the tank and regulator be in-compressible.

Overall we are trying to obtain values for thrust provided by the air (over a range of tanks and regulators) and assumed that this was a reasonable place to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How the pressure in the tank is reduced is irrelevant to the pressure/volume change in the tank so Boyles Law still applies.

Likes gl96

1. What is compressible air flow?

Compressible air flow refers to the movement of air through a system where the air is under pressure and its volume can change. This type of air flow is commonly found in tanks and regulators.

2. How does a tank regulate the flow of air?

A tank regulates the flow of air by using a valve to control the amount of air that is released. The valve can be adjusted to increase or decrease the pressure of the air being released from the tank.

3. What is the purpose of a regulator in a compressed air system?

The purpose of a regulator in a compressed air system is to reduce the high pressure from the tank to a lower, more manageable pressure for use in various applications. This helps to ensure consistent and safe airflow.

4. How does the pressure of the air affect its flow rate?

The pressure of the air directly affects its flow rate. As the pressure increases, the air molecules are forced closer together and the volume decreases, resulting in a higher flow rate. Conversely, as the pressure decreases, the air molecules spread out and the volume increases, resulting in a lower flow rate.

5. What factors can affect the efficiency of air flow from a tank through a regulator?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of air flow from a tank through a regulator. These include the type and condition of the tank and regulator, the pressure and temperature of the air, and any obstructions or restrictions in the air flow path.