Compression in beam vs tension

In summary: The thickness is measured from the neutral axis. So at the center, the thickness is minimum, and the shear stress is maximum.
chetzread

Homework Statement

In my notes , I was told that shear stress is maximum at the neutral axis . The normal stress will be maximum at one end , while the another end will be minimum...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why the shear stress is maximum at the neutral axis ? When we 'tear ' an object , the boundary will move first , resulting the max shear stress occur at boundary , am i right ?

When we bend a beam , one part will undergo compression , while the another end will undergo tension ... So , the part which undergo compression will have the minimum normal stress? the another end will undergo tension will have max normal stress?

Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

In my notes , I was told that shear stress is maximum at the neutral axis . The normal stress will be maximum at one end , while the another end will be minimum...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why the shear stress is maximum at the neutral axis ? When we 'tear ' an object , the boundary will move first , resulting the max shear stress occur at boundary , am i right ?

Shear stress depends on the orientation of the shearing force and the location of the neutral axis of the beam.
When we bend a beam , one part will undergo compression , while the another end will undergo tension ... So , the part which undergo compression will have the minimum normal stress? the another end will undergo tension will have max normal stress?

This all depends on the location of the neutral axis inside the cross section of the beam and the direction of the applied moment.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
Shear stress depends on the orientation of the shearing force and the location of the neutral axis of the beam.This all depends on the location of the neutral axis inside the cross section of the beam and the direction of the applied moment.
so, is the normal stress will be maximum at one end , while the another end will be minimum... ?

compression will have the minimum normal stress? the another end will undergo tension will have max normal stress?

is the statement that the shear stress is max at the neutral axis true?

chetzread said:
so, is the normal stress will be maximum at one end , while the another end will be minimum... ?

compression will have the minimum normal stress? the another end will undergo tension will have max normal stress?
I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you are saying.

The normal stress is a maximum at "one end". "One end" of what?

The following diagram shows a typical bending stress distribution:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdpnF4PRgZVgxNgsETd5gNcVDoXZqvxdV-Feit0dOedMBaeNJH.png

is the statement that the shear stress is max at the neutral axis true?
Yes, the shear stress is a maximum at the neutral axis.

Shear stress τ is calculated by the following formula:

##\tau = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##

where

V - is the shearing force
Q - is the first moment of area above the line where shear stress is calcuated
I - is the second moment of area
t - is the thickness of the section where the shear stress is calculated

Shear stress is typically distributed as follows:

upload_2016-7-4_19-40-44.png

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdpnF4PRgZVgxNgsETd5gNcVDoXZqvxdV-Feit0dOedMBaeNJH.png

from the diagra, the top part undergo compression, so thestress is minimum? the lower part is tension ,so stress is maximum?

SteamKing said:

Yes, the shear stress is a maximum at the neutral axis.

Shear stress τ is calculated by the following formula:

##\tau = \frac{V ⋅ Q}{I ⋅ t}##

where

V - is the shearing force
Q - is the first moment of area above the line where shear stress is calcuated
I - is the second moment of area
t - is the thickness of the section where the shear stress is calculated

Shear stress is typically distributed as follows:

the thickness is measured from neutral axis? so at center , the thickness is minimum ,shear stress is max?

Related to Compression in beam vs tension

1. What is the difference between compression and tension in beams?

Compression and tension are two types of forces that act on beams. Compression is a force that pushes or squeezes the beam inwards, while tension is a force that pulls or stretches the beam outwards.

2. How do compression and tension affect the strength of a beam?

Compression and tension can both have a significant impact on the strength of a beam. In general, compression can cause a beam to buckle or collapse, while tension can cause a beam to elongate or break.

3. Can a beam experience both compression and tension at the same time?

Yes, a beam can experience both compression and tension simultaneously. This is known as a bending moment, where one side of the beam is under compression while the other side is under tension.

4. Which type of force is more likely to cause failure in a beam, compression or tension?

This ultimately depends on various factors such as the type of material, size of the beam, and the applied load. In general, however, compression is more likely to cause failure in a beam due to its tendency to cause buckling.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding the difference between compression and tension in beams?

Yes, understanding the difference between compression and tension in beams is crucial in various engineering and construction projects. It allows engineers to design and build structures that can withstand the forces acting on them, ensuring safety and stability.