Compression of a superconducting spring

One possible approach to this problem is to consider the final coil, which would only be acted upon by the tension in the spring and the magnetic force from the adjacent coil. However, this approach does not yield a meaningful solution, as the equilibrium equations would result in two equal and opposite forces, leading to 0 = 0. Another approach is to differentiate the energy balance equation and solve for the equilibrium length, which yields a solution of x = mu_0N^2I_0^2A/2kx_0^2. However, it is important to note that the term "force" used in the solution manual is somewhat misleading without a clear understanding of the system in equilibrium.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
What is the change in length of a spiral superconducting spring, which has ##N## turns, radius ##R##, natural length ##x_0## and spring constant ##k##, when an initial current ##I_0## flows through it?
Relevant Equations
N/A
Let the length of the spring be ##x##, so that the extension in any given configuration is ##\delta = |x_0 - x|##. The magnetic flux through such a coil is $$\Phi = \frac{\mu_0 I N^2 A}{x}$$The fact that the coil is superconducting means that the flux linked will always remain constant even with changes of current, which means that the current must satisfy$$I(x) = \frac{I_0 x}{x_0}$$Since ##\Phi = LI## we have that the inductance of the coil is$$L(x) = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 A}{x}$$and consequently the magnetic energy of the coil, ##E_m = \frac{1}{2}LI^2##, is$$E_m = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2}x$$Now when a current flows, the spring compresses (adjacent coils attract), so I thought to try and equate the decrease in magnetic energy to the increase in spring energy,$$\frac{1}{2}k(x_0-x)^2 = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2}(x_0 - x)$$However this yields $$\delta = x_0 - x = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{x_0^2}$$which is apparently incorrect. The solution manual uses a force approach which I am struggling to understand. They say that from the magnetic energy, we can define a "magnetic force of contraction" ##F_0## where$$F_0 = \frac{E_m}{x} = \frac{\mu N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2}$$and say that equilibrium occurs when the elastic force ##k(x_0 - x)## "balances" this magnetic force of contraction, which gives an answer that is half of mine.

I wondered what the flaw in my method is, but would also like to understand how their method works. Specifically, on what sub-system are the magnetic force of contraction and spring force acting, and are balanced? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy won't do it. As with any spring, suddenly applying a force leads to overshoot, then a damped oscillation, ending at the new equilibrium. And the shift in equilibrium is the amplitude of undamped oscillation, which is half the total range.

Likes etotheipi and hutchphd
You also get the same 1/2 when you suddenly supply a fixed battery potential to a capacitor. Very fundamental effect. (and as I mentioned once before maybe related to fluctuation dissipation theorem ?)

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
Energy won't do it. As with any spring, suddenly applying a force leads to overshoot, then a damped oscillation, ending at the new equilibrium. And the shift in equilibrium is the amplitude of undamped oscillation, which is half the total range.

I see! In that case, what system are we taking to be in equilibrium in order to equate the two forces? Is it, for instance, the final turn of the coil?

etotheipi said:
I see! In that case, what system are we taking to be in equilibrium in order to equate the two forces? Is it, for instance, the final turn of the coil?
How about differentiating your expression for the magnetic energy wrt x?

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
How about differentiating your expression for the magnetic energy wrt x?

That would be the quantity ##F_0##, which I'm still struggling to interpret (specifically I'm not sure where it acts). The tension in the spring would be ##k(x_0 - x)##.

etotheipi said:
That would be the quantity ##F_0##, which I'm still struggling to interpret (specifically I'm not sure where it acts). The tension in the spring would be ##k(x_0 - x)##.
You don't need to worry about what the force represents. What you know is that at equilibrium a small change dx will transfer a little energy between the spring and the magnetic field. Virtual work, and all that. So just differentiate your energy balance equation and solve for x.

haruspex said:
You don't need to worry about what the force represents. What you know is that at equilibrium a small change dx will transfer a little energy between the spring and the magnetic field. Virtual work, and all that. So just differentiate your energy balance equation and solve for x.

That's interesting, so we would say that for our equilibrium length ##x##, the energy of the configuration after the system comes to rest (having been damped) is$$E = \frac{1}{2}k(x_0-x)^2 + \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2}x$$If the system is in stable equilibrium, then an infinitesimal change in length ##\delta x## in either direction will not change the energy ##(\frac{dE}{dx} = 0)##, so$$\delta E = -k(x_0 - x) \delta x + \frac{\mu_0 N^2 I_0^2 A}{2x_0^2} \delta x = 0$$and that let's us solve for ##x##. It works! 😁

As a side-note, I think it is slightly misleading that the book calls that term a force, even though it would be dimensionally consistent. Without knowing what system a force acts on I'm very hesitant to do any analysis involving them.

Thanks, again, for the help!

etotheipi said:
it is slightly misleading that the book calls that term a force, even though it would be dimensionally consistent. Without knowing what system a force acts on I'm very hesitant to do any analysis involving them.
We could set k=0 and instead apply some external force to hold the coils at a certain total length. That is balancing the force from the magnetic field, so the force n question is that net force on the coil from that field.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
We could set k=0 and instead apply some external force to hold the coils at a certain total length. That is balancing the force from the magnetic field, so the force n question is that net force on the coil from that field.

Right but it's still not too obvious what system is in equilibrium.

If we return to the original scenario and consider one coil somewhere in the middle, then that's acted upon, vaguely, by two tensions on either side (which will be equal if the spring is light), and two magnetic (##BIL##)-type forces from adjacent coils. It seems fair to assume that we only need consider the magnetic force from the two adjacent coils and not the rest behind them, as a first approximation. But for most such systems we choose, it doesn't seem like we can extract anything useful from the equilibrium equations, because in each we have two equal and opposite tensions and two equal and opposite magnetic forces, which is a bit like getting 0 = 0.

So I thought maybe we'd need to consider the final coil, which would only be acted upon by a tension on one end and an opposing magnetic force from that same end, which we could equate for the equilibrium condition. But it's not obvious that our expression ##F_0## is this required magnetic force...

1. What is a superconducting spring?

A superconducting spring is a type of spring made from a superconducting material, which is a material that has zero electrical resistance and can conduct electricity with no energy loss. This allows the spring to compress and expand without losing any energy.

2. How does a superconducting spring work?

A superconducting spring works by utilizing the properties of superconducting materials. When a current is passed through the spring, it creates a magnetic field that repels the magnetic field of the spring itself, causing it to compress. When the current is turned off, the spring returns to its original shape.

3. What are the benefits of using a superconducting spring?

One of the main benefits of using a superconducting spring is its ability to store and release energy without any loss. This makes it highly efficient and useful in various applications such as energy storage, magnetic levitation, and high-speed transportation systems.

4. How is a superconducting spring compressed?

A superconducting spring is compressed by passing a current through it, which creates a magnetic field that repels the spring's own magnetic field. This force causes the spring to compress and store energy. The amount of current and the strength of the magnetic field can be controlled to adjust the compression of the spring.

5. What are the potential applications of a superconducting spring?

Superconducting springs have a wide range of potential applications, including energy storage in renewable energy systems, magnetic levitation in high-speed trains, and as part of precision instruments in scientific research. They could also potentially be used in medical devices and space exploration technology.