Compression Springs: Calculating Force Released

In summary, the force released from a compression spring can be calculated using the spring constant and the extension of the spring. This can be done using Hooke's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the extension of the spring. By knowing the exact specifications of the spring, such as its spring constant, the force released can be easily calculated. So, to determine how high 50g would travel when the spring is released, you would simply use the formula Force = spring constant * extension.
bucky1andonly
Is there a formula to calculate how much force is released from compression springs knowing the exact specifications of the spring of course?

Like if it takes 100g to compress a spring completely, how high would 50g travel when the spring is released.

Physics news on Phys.org
bucky1andonly said:
Is there a formula to calculate how much force is released from compression springs knowing the exact specifications of the spring of course?

Like if it takes 100g to compress a spring completely, how high would 50g travel when the spring is released.

Force= spring constant*extension

That is normally how you would do it.

that simple eh, hmmmm, and here i was googling around the net wasting my time, thanks, hope youre right

bucky1andonly said:
that simple eh, hmmmm, and here i was googling around the net wasting my time, thanks, hope youre right

It's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke%27s_law"

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the force released from a compression spring based on its specifications. The formula is F = kx, where F is the force released, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. The spring constant, k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and is typically provided by the manufacturer.

In order to calculate how high the spring would travel when released with a force of 50g, you would need to rearrange the formula to solve for x. It would be x = F/k. Plugging in the values, x = (50g)/(k). This would give you the distance the spring would travel in the opposite direction from its compressed state.

It is important to note that the units of force and distance must be consistent in order for the formula to work. In this case, both force and distance should be in the metric system, with force in Newtons and distance in meters. Also, the spring must be released in a controlled environment to accurately measure the distance traveled.

Additionally, there are other factors that can affect the force released from a compression spring, such as the material and design of the spring. It is best to consult with the manufacturer or a professional engineer for a more precise calculation.

Related to Compression Springs: Calculating Force Released

1. How do I calculate the force released by a compression spring?

To calculate the force released by a compression spring, you will need to know the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. You can then use the formula F = kx, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and x is the distance the spring is compressed in meters.

2. What is the difference between compression and extension springs?

The main difference between compression and extension springs is their shape and intended use. A compression spring is designed to be compressed and store energy, while an extension spring is designed to be extended and release energy. Additionally, compression springs are typically coiled in a helical shape, while extension springs are usually coiled in a conical shape.

3. How does the material of a compression spring affect its force?

The material of a compression spring can affect its force in several ways. The type of material used can impact the spring constant, as different materials have different levels of stiffness. The material also affects the maximum amount of force the spring can handle before deforming or breaking. Additionally, the material can affect the durability and lifespan of the spring.

4. Can I adjust the force released by a compression spring?

Yes, the force released by a compression spring can be adjusted by changing the spring constant or the distance the spring is compressed. The spring constant can be altered by changing the material, wire diameter, or coil diameter of the spring, while the distance can be adjusted by compressing the spring to different lengths.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a compression spring for a specific application?

When choosing a compression spring for a specific application, you should consider the required force, the working environment, the space limitations, and the expected lifespan of the spring. It is important to select a spring with the appropriate spring constant and material to meet the force requirements and withstand the environmental conditions. The size and shape of the spring should also be chosen to fit within the available space. Additionally, the expected lifespan of the spring should be considered to ensure it will meet the longevity needs of the application.