Problem: Estimating pressure of compressive garment

• Thread starter qwertypie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses using shape memory alloys to create active compression garments. The goal is to estimate the pressure that can be generated by these materials based on their recoverable strain. There is a question about whether the radial growth and contraction of the fibers is what causes the compression, and further details are requested about the fibers and fabric weave. The use of Nitinol as an example is mentioned, as well as the need for biaxial stress-strain experiments or a theoretical development to accurately predict the properties of the fabric.
qwertypie
Basically, I'm working on a project to make active compression garments instead of passive. There are a few materials that can actuate with large recoverable strains, and I want to use them to create the compression. I need to estimate how much pressure they could create based on the recoverable strain they are capable of producing though. This would be either by constricting upon actuation or expanding upon actuation and the pressure being generated upon release of stimulus as the fibers try to return to normal, like with regular passive compression garments. I just need a rough estimate, or just the idea of how I would model this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really think it's the radial growth and contraction of the fibers that causes the compression?

Are the fibers embedded in a matrix, or is it a fabric? Are the fibers single ply? What is the nature of the fabric weave>

Chestermiller said:
Do you really think it's the radial growth and contraction of the fibers that causes the compression?

Are the fibers embedded in a matrix, or is it a fabric? Are the fibers single ply? What is the nature of the fabric weave>
It's using shape memory alloys. Just to have some numbers, an alloy called Nitinol can recover strains up to ~6% after a phase transition. Nasa developed a device for rock splitting that use modified nitinol expanding elements that were capable of generating stresses in excess of 1.5 GPa at only 2-3 percent corresponding strain. In the time waiting, I found an equation for hoop stress, equated the stress to the young's modulus of the material x the strain, and solved for pressure. But I imagine that's wildly inaccurate to the real situation, which would be a cross-hatched weave where the lateral fibers contain the SMA wires as a core and some cladding.

You need to do biaxial stress-strain experiments on the woven fabric, or you need some sort of theoretical development to predict the biaxial stress-strain properties from the fiber geometry, the weave geometry, and the frictional characteristics of the fibers.

1. What is a compressive garment?

A compressive garment is a type of clothing that is designed to apply pressure to the body, typically in a specific area or direction. This pressure is intended to improve blood flow, reduce swelling, and support muscles during physical activity.

2. Why is it important to estimate the pressure of a compressive garment?

Estimating the pressure of a compressive garment is important because it allows us to determine the effectiveness and safety of the garment. Too much pressure can cause discomfort or even harm, while too little pressure may not provide the desired benefits.

3. How is the pressure of a compressive garment measured?

The pressure of a compressive garment is typically measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or kilopascals (kPa) using a specialized device called a pressure gauge. The garment is placed on a flat surface and the gauge is pressed against it to determine the amount of pressure being applied.

4. What factors can affect the pressure of a compressive garment?

The pressure of a compressive garment can be affected by several factors, including the material and construction of the garment, the size and shape of the wearer, and the amount of tension applied when putting on the garment. It is important to consider these factors when estimating and adjusting the pressure of a compressive garment.

5. Are there any risks associated with wearing a compressive garment?

While compressive garments can provide many benefits, there are some risks associated with wearing them. These include potential skin irritation, restricted blood flow, and discomfort. It is important to consult a healthcare professional before using a compressive garment, especially if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.