Compton scattering and the energies of incident and scattered photons ?

In summary, the problem involves a head-on compton encounter with a total energy of 10.22MeV for the scattered electron and a rest mass energy of 0.511MeV. Using the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, we can find the energies of the incident and scattered photons in eV. To do this, we can use the equations (hc/lambda) + (m(electron)*c^2) = (hc/lambda2) + Y(m(electron)*c^2) and (h/lambda) + 0 = Y(m(electron)*v) - (h/lambda2), where Y is the lorentz factor and v is the speed of the electron. By rearr
lavenderblue
Compton scattering and the energies of incident and scattered photons...?

Hey guys! I'm alittle stuck...Hope you can shed light on this for me!
The question is: 'In a head-on compton encounter, the total energy (i.e the rest mass plus the kinetic energy) of the scattered electron is 10.22MeV. The rest mass energy of the electron is 0.511MeV.
(a) Apply the laws of conservation of energy and momentum to the encounter and thus find the energies, in eV, of the incident and scattered photons.
(b) Show that the change in wavelength is d(lambda)=(2h)/(m(electron)*C)

Homework Equations

The equations I was thinking of using were:

For energy: (hc/lamda) + (m(electron)*c^2) = (hc/lambda2) + Y(m(electron)*c^2)

For momentum: (h/lambda) + 0 = Y(m(electron)*v) - (h/lambda2)

Where Y = the lorentz factor = (1-(v/c))^-1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of combining the above equations and rearranging the lorentz factor to find the speed, but don't know where to start to be honest. Every equation involving the compton scattering involves an angle, so since i don't have an angle to play with, i have no idea where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org

Do it with vectors.

Draw the situation in the xy-plane. And use the relation for energy and momentum for the electron. Also you need to know some vector algebra, dot-product. hint: cut the lorentz factor, you don't need it here - just vectors, and energy - momentum relation.

Related to Compton scattering and the energies of incident and scattered photons ?

1. What is Compton scattering and how does it occur?

Compton scattering is the phenomenon in which a photon collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to recoil. This results in a decrease in the energy and wavelength of the scattered photon. It occurs due to the wave-particle duality of light, where photons can behave as both waves and particles.

2. How does the energy of the incident photon affect the energy of the scattered photon in Compton scattering?

The energy of the incident photon directly affects the energy of the scattered photon in Compton scattering. As the energy of the incident photon increases, the energy of the scattered photon also increases. This is because a higher energy photon has a greater momentum and can transfer more energy to the electron during the collision.

3. What is the relationship between the scattering angle and the energy of the scattered photon in Compton scattering?

The scattering angle, which is the angle between the incident and scattered photon, is directly related to the energy of the scattered photon in Compton scattering. As the scattering angle increases, the energy of the scattered photon also increases. This is because a higher scattering angle indicates a higher momentum transfer between the photon and electron, resulting in a greater change in energy for the scattered photon.

4. How does the atomic structure of the material affect Compton scattering?

The atomic structure of the material plays a role in Compton scattering as the electrons in the material act as targets for the incident photons. The number of electrons, their distribution, and the atomic number of the material all affect the probability of Compton scattering occurring. Materials with a higher atomic number, such as lead, have a higher probability of Compton scattering due to their larger number of electrons.

5. Can Compton scattering be used to determine the energy of an incident photon?

Yes, Compton scattering can be used to determine the energy of an incident photon. By measuring the energy and scattering angle of the scattered photon, the energy of the incident photon can be calculated using the Compton formula. This is a useful technique in experimental physics and is commonly used in medical imaging to determine the energy of X-rays.