Compton Scattering: Finding Angle from only Initial Energy

In summary, the gamma ray's energy is related to its wavelength and the angle at which it is scattered.
1saac

Homework Statement

Gamma rays of energy 1.02 MeV are scattered from electrons that are initially at rest. If the
scattering is symmetric, that is, if θ = ϕ in Fig. 1, find
i. the scattering angle θ
ii. the energy of the scattered photons.

214owso.jpg

Homework Equations

λ' - λ = (h/mc)[1 - cos(θ)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure where to go on this one. The first thing I did was take the energy of the gamma ray and find its wavelength via the relationship:

E = hf

E = hc/λ

λ = hc/E

λ = 1.217E-22 m

I've been scouring every resource I can but I cannot find a relationship for scattering angle dealing only with energy. I am certain that the fact that the scattering is symmetric has something to do with it, but I do not know how to apply that fact.

Does anyone know how I can approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try starting from conservation of energy and momentum.

So I tried applying the conservation of momentum with a bit of help from a book I found in the study room. This was my attempt to solve for the angle, however I ended up with sec(theta) = 0, which is impossible. I know I must be missing a term or something somewhere.

szylxj.jpg

Why are you using the same angle for both the electron and the photon? Also, one of the terms in the y-equation should be negative, right?

I'm using the same angle because the problem states that "the scattering is symmetric, that is, θ = ϕ in Fig. 1". Am I interpreting this part incorrectly?

I realized that the term describing the momentum of the scattered photon should be negative. It helped a bit, but I now arrive at a point where I cannot eliminate either the recoiling electron's velocity and the scattered photon's wavelength at the same time.

72zsir.jpg

It looks like you haven't used conservation of energy...

I've solved the problem. I friend of mine told me that you only need to use conservation of momentum in the x-direction, and the Compton shift equation. Then you solve both for scattered photon wavelength and set them equal.

I hate it when I look for help with a problem on Google and find a thread where someone says they solved their problem without showing how, so here's my workings for all you people who found this thread via Google: (although I forgot to rotate it so you'll have to either tilt your head or rotate it yourself)

2dr5274.jpg

Yeah, that works because the Compton scattering equation incorporates conservation of both momentum and energy already.

Related to Compton Scattering: Finding Angle from only Initial Energy

1. What is Compton Scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (electromagnetic radiation) collides with an electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and energy. This process was discovered by physicist Arthur Compton in 1923 and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How does Compton Scattering help in finding the angle from only initial energy?

Compton scattering can help determine the angle between the direction of the incident photon and the scattered photon. By measuring the change in energy and wavelength of the scattered photon, the angle can be calculated using the Compton scattering formula.

3. What is the Compton scattering formula?

The Compton scattering formula is Es = Ei / (1 + (Ei/mec2)(1-cosθ)), where Es is the energy of the scattered photon, Ei is the energy of the incident photon, me is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

4. What are the practical applications of Compton Scattering?

Compton scattering has a wide range of practical applications, including medical imaging (such as CT scans), material science, and astrophysics. It is also used in the measurement of photon energies in particle accelerators.

5. What are the limitations of using Compton Scattering to find the angle from only initial energy?

One limitation of using Compton scattering to find the angle is that it assumes a single scattering event. In reality, multiple scattering events can occur, making it more difficult to accurately determine the angle. Additionally, this method is only applicable to photons and electrons, so it cannot be used for other particles.