Compton’s experiment vs ordinary mirror

In summary: There is one reference to an experiment in which air pressure was varied inside the glass bulb, but I'm not sure if it's the same experiment you're talking about. I'd have to look into it further.
exmarine
Compton hit the electrons in a carbon target with x-rays and measured the changes in the wavelengths of the scattered photons versus their deflected angle. He correlated that with the energy and momentum the incident photon gave to the electron.

My question is why does this not happen in mirrors? AFAIK there is no red-shift in the much lower energy photons reflected from an ordinary mirror. Is no energy and momentum given to the electrons in the mirror? What is the difference in these cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
exmarine said:
Compton hit the electrons in a carbon target with x-rays and measured the changes in the wavelengths of the scattered photons versus their deflected angle. He correlated that with the energy and momentum the incident photon gave to the electron.

My question is why does this not happen in mirrors? AFAIK there is no red-shift in the much lower energy photons reflected from an ordinary mirror. Is no energy and momentum given to the electrons in the mirror? What is the difference in these cases?
As you've already said, the waves in light have much lower energy than X-rays, which also gives them a larger wavelength, so the scale of their interaction is much larger, involving arrays of atoms, and for materials suitable for a mirror the energy is not enough to cause energy level changes in individual atoms which would absorb energy.

So the light bounces off the mirror as a whole, which does cause a very tiny change in momentum and could in theory give the mirror as a whole some kinetic energy eventually. The effect is far too small to be significant in normal cases, but is the basis of "solar sails" which may be used in future as a means of propelling space probes.

Do you think this effect is responsible for the rotation of a Crookes radiometer, or is that view controversial?

sandy stone said:
Do you think this effect is responsible for the rotation of a Crookes radiometer

What direction would this turn a radiometer?
In what direction does a radiometer actually turn?

Likes vanhees71
I suppose you would expect the white sides to retreat, because the radiation is reflected, not absorbed, imparting more momentum to the vane. I think this is opposite to what is observed, which at least proves that I don't know what is going on.
BTW, that was an innocent question. Which guideline did I violate?

Likes vanhees71
sandy stone said:
BTW, that was an innocent question. Which guideline did I violate?
If you're referring to the guidelines link in Vanadium 50's signature line, that's just for information.

You did somewhat change the subject of the thread, which could be considered to be against the "hijacking" guideline, but it wasn't far off topic.

In addition to the above "light mill" article, the Wikipedia article on Crookes radiometer contains some useful information.

Thanks for the references.

1. What is Compton's experiment?

Compton's experiment is a scientific experiment conducted by Arthur Compton in 1923 to study the behavior of X-rays when they interact with matter. It demonstrated the particle-like nature of X-rays and provided evidence for the existence of photons.

2. How does Compton's experiment differ from ordinary mirror reflection?

Compton's experiment involves the scattering of X-rays off of electrons in a target material, while ordinary mirror reflection involves the reflection of visible light off of the surface of a smooth material. In Compton's experiment, the wavelength of the X-rays changes, while in ordinary mirror reflection, the wavelength of the light remains the same.

3. What is the significance of Compton's experiment?

Compton's experiment provided evidence for the dual nature of light, which is both a wave and a particle. It also contributed to the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How is Compton's experiment used in modern science?

Compton's experiment is still used in modern science to study the properties of X-rays and their interaction with matter. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as Computed Tomography (CT) scans, to produce detailed images of the inside of the body.

5. Are there any limitations to Compton's experiment?

One limitation of Compton's experiment is that it only applies to X-rays and cannot be generalized to other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It also cannot fully explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has been superseded by more advanced theories, such as quantum electrodynamics.