[Computational Physics] Modeling the path of a Baseball with drag

In summary, the program calculates the next position and velocity, based on the last position and velocity. If the wind speed is changed, the program calculates the drag and headwind and tailwind vectors.
CrosisBH
Homework Statement
Recreate Figure 2.7 from Giordano's Computational Physics 2nd Edition
Relevant Equations
The stepping functions: (wind is strictly horizontal)
##x_{i+1} = x_i + v_{x,i} \Delta t##
##v_{x,i+1} = v_{x,i} - \frac{B|\vec{v} - \vec{v}_{wind}|(v_{x,i} - v_{wind})}{m} \Delta t##
##y_{i+1} = y_i + v_{y,i} \Delta t##
##v_{y,i+1} = v_{y,i} - \frac{B |\vec{v} - \vec{v}_{wind}|(v_{y,i})}{m} \Delta t - g\Delta t##

Handy drag coefficient equation

##\frac{B}{m} = 0.0039 + \frac{0.0058}{1+\exp\left(\frac{|\vec{v}| - 35m/s}{5m/s}\right)}##
Capture.PNG

My attempt in python:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

#constants and conditions
initial_velocity = 49.1744 #m/s, book has 110mph
velocity_angle = 35 * np.pi / 180 #coverted to radians because numpy only likes radians
gravity = 9.8 #m/s^2
dt=0.1

windspeed = 4.4704 #m/s book has 10mph

#calculating the initial vector components

position = []

velocity = []

position.append([0,1.5])
position_headwind = position
position_tailwind = position

velocity.append([initial_velocity * np.cos(velocity_angle), initial_velocity * np.sin(velocity_angle)])
velocity_headwind = velocity
velocity_tailwind = velocity

def norm (vector):
    return (vector[0]**2 + vector[1]**2)**0.5

def calculate_drag_value(velocity):
    #This is B/m value given by the book
    b_over_m = 0.0039 + 0.0058/(1+np.exp(velocity - 35)/5)
    return b_over_m

def calculate_next_velocity(velocity, windspeed):
    #velocity[0] is x-comp of velocity
    #velocity[1] is y-comp ...

dragged_velocity = norm([velocity[0] - windspeed, velocity[1]])

newx = velocity[0] - calculate_drag_value(norm(velocity)) * dragged_velocity * (velocity[0] - windspeed) *  dt
    newy = velocity[1] - calculate_drag_value(norm(velocity)) * dragged_velocity * velocity[1] * dt - gravity * dt

return [newx, newy]

def calculate_next_position(position, velocity):
    newx = position[0] + velocity[0] * dt
    newy = position[1] + velocity[1] * dt
    return [newx, newy]

i=0

#this is the python way to do a do-while loop
#e.g. stop the loop if y<=0, physically meaning the ball hit the grown
while True:

velocity.append(calculate_next_velocity(velocity[i], 0))
    #velocity_tailwind.append(calculate_next_velocity(velocity_tailwind[i],  windspeed))
    #velocity_headwind.append(calculate_next_velocity(velocity_headwind[i], -windspeed))

position.append(calculate_next_position(position[i], velocity[i]))
    #position_tailwind.append(calculate_next_position(position_tailwind[i], velocity_tailwind[i]))
    #position_headwind.append(calculate_next_position(position_headwind[i], velocity_headwind[i]))

i=i+1
    if(position[i][1]<=0):
        break

figure = plt.figure(figsize=(5, 5), dpi=80)

#rearranges my list of vectors into two separate lists of x,y v=[[1,2],[3,4]] becomes x = [1,3] y = [2,4]
x,y = zip(*position)
x_tail, y_tail = zip(*position_tailwind)
x_head, y_head = zip(*position_headwind)

plt.plot(x,y)
plt.plot(x_tail, y_tail)
plt.plot(x_head, y_head)

#axis labels
plt.xlabel("x(m)")
plt.ylabel("y(m)")

#setting the ticks
plt.xticks(np.arange(0,151,50))

#axis range
plt.ylim(0,35)

#title of figure
plt.title("Trajectory of a Batted Baseball")

#show the figure (for testing purposes)
plt.show()

which pretty much yields the same plot with no wind.
download.png

If I go ahead and uncomment the lines in the while loop. (line 54). The program breaks off into an infinite loop. I know because I outputted the y position of the no-wind and y is always hanging around the 28-31 range and never goes down (even after 1000 iteration). If I comment the lines again, the output is like 30-40 iterations and it's done.

If I change the wind speed of the original path, I can get the headwind and tailwind curves, so my physics is correct, but my programming seems to be at fault here. (So I apologize if this isn't a question for this specific forum) Does anyone have any insight why it infinite loops if I have 3 calculations in the loop but doesn't if it's one? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
CrosisBH said:
position_headwind = position
position_tailwind = position
I don't know Python, but that looks to me like you are taking a copy of a pointer to memory instead of copying an initial value into a separate array.
You need to declare six separate arrays for the three velocity arrays and three position arrays.

Likes BvU and CrosisBH
Damn, that was the problem! I went ahead and each 6 arrays and added their 0th component by hand, and now the plot is display (roughly) what I need! Just need to clean it up a bit.

VSavPpK.png

CrosisBH said:
Damn, that was the problem! I went ahead and each 6 arrays and added their 0th component by hand, and now the plot is display (roughly) what I need! Just need to clean it up a bit.

View attachment 256255
Good.
Interesting how the tail wind increases the max height. Logical, but not immediately obvious.

1. How is drag accounted for in the computational model?

In the computational model, drag is accounted for by using the drag equation, which takes into account the air density, the velocity of the ball, and the drag coefficient of the ball. This allows for a more accurate representation of the path of the ball as it travels through the air.

2. How does the initial velocity of the ball affect its trajectory?

The initial velocity of the ball has a significant impact on its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and steeper trajectory. This is because the drag force increases with velocity, causing the ball to slow down more quickly with a higher initial velocity.

3. What other factors besides drag are taken into account in the model?

In addition to drag, the computational model also takes into account the initial velocity, the angle of the ball's launch, the spin of the ball, and the gravitational force. These factors all play a role in determining the path of the ball as it travels through the air.

4. How accurate is the computational model compared to real-life observations?

The accuracy of the computational model depends on the quality of the input data and the assumptions made. With accurate data and reasonable assumptions, the model can closely match real-life observations. However, there may be some discrepancies due to factors such as wind, air temperature, and imperfections in the ball's surface.

5. How can the computational model be used in practical applications?

The computational model can be used in practical applications such as predicting the trajectory of a baseball in different weather conditions, optimizing the design of a baseball for maximum distance or control, and analyzing the effectiveness of different pitching techniques. It can also be used for other sports involving projectile motion, such as golf or tennis.