Compute EOM for Spin Connection from Einstein-Palatini Action

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of equations of motion for the spin ##\omega_{\mu ab}## connection from the Einstein-Palatini action. The variation of the connection is shown to take the form ##\varepsilon_{abcd}\varepsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} (D_\mu e^c{}_{\rho})e^d{}_\sigma = 0##, and by using source (eq. 2.14) on page 14, it is proven that ##T^a{}_{\mu\nu}:= 2D_{[\mu}e^a{}_{\nu]} = 0##. The conversation then discusses possible implications and
Lactose
I was trying to compute the equations of motion for the spin ##\omega_{\mu ab} ## connection from the Einstein-Palatini action
$$S := \int d^4 x e^\mu{}_ae^\nu{}_b R_{\mu \nu}{}^{ab}.$$
I managed to get the variation wrt. the connection to the form
$$ \varepsilon_{abcd}\varepsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma} (D_\mu e^c{}_{\rho})e^d{}_\sigma = 0,$$
where latin indices denote frame (or flat) components and greek indices denote coordinate (or curved) components and ##D_\mu V^a= \partial_\mu V^a + \omega_{\mu}{}^a{}_c V^c## is the covariant derivative wrt. to the spin connection.
By the source (eq. 2.14) on page 14, the above is actually correct and then implies
$$T^a{}_{\mu\nu}:= 2D_{[\mu}e^a{}_{\nu]} = 0.$$
However, I do not see how this implication should work. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the contraction rules for epsilons and I already tried out:
  1. carrying out the summation in ##(d, \sigma)##, which gives contracted epsilons - did not work.
  2. multiplying the equation by epsilons corresponding to the free indices, giving contracted epsilons as well - did not work either.
Any hints or help to reach the conclusion would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As it is often the case, once one poses the question, one finds the answer.

For anyone interested in this, I give a quick summary now and try to write the full solution in the next few days.

Indeed my first ansatz was correct, but needed refinement:
So one first carries out the summation in ##(d, \sigma)## which gives the two contracted ##\varepsilon##, which then can be written as an antisymmetrisation of terms involving deltas like ##\delta^\mu_k \equiv e^\mu{}_k##, which we sort such that we see the antisymmetrization in ##[\mu, \nu]##.
Contracting the resulting equation now with a vielbein ## e^\nu{}_a## let's us deduce that
$$ e^\mu{}_k e^\nu{}_l D_{[\mu}e^k{}_{\nu]} = 0,$$
which also gives us
$$e^\mu{}_k D_{[\mu} e^k_{\nu]} = 0.$$
This we can then plug back into the equation which we contracted with ## e^\nu{}_a## and then all terms except one, namely
$$e^\rho{}_a e^\mu{}_k e^\mu{}_l D_{[\mu}e^a{}_{\nu]}$$
dissapear, so this on its own has to be zero.
We note that ##(\rho, k, l)## appear as free indices and hence can be multiplied away with vielbeins, so we are left with the desired equality.

I did my calculations for arbitrary dimension and the result holds for all dimensions unequal to 2.

1. What is the Einstein-Palatini action?

The Einstein-Palatini action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of gravity in a four-dimensional space-time. It is derived from the Einstein-Hilbert action, which is the fundamental equation of general relativity.

2. What is the spin connection?

The spin connection is a mathematical construct used in the Einstein-Palatini action to describe the curvature of space-time. It is a four-dimensional vector field that represents the connection between the space-time manifold and the local Lorentz frame.

3. How is the EOM for spin connection computed?

The EOM (equation of motion) for the spin connection is computed by varying the Einstein-Palatini action with respect to the spin connection. This involves taking the functional derivative of the action with respect to the spin connection and setting it equal to zero.

4. What is the significance of computing the EOM for spin connection?

Computing the EOM for spin connection allows us to understand the dynamics of gravity in a four-dimensional space-time. It is an important step in developing a complete theory of gravity and understanding the behavior of space-time on both small and large scales.

5. Are there any applications of the EOM for spin connection?

Yes, there are many applications of the EOM for spin connection in theoretical physics and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of space-time in the early universe, as well as in black hole physics and quantum gravity. It also has implications for understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy.