Computer Graphics: Finding the position of a lightpen on the face of a CRT

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Crystal037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the equation for time lag is: (1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(1024-x)/1024 ->for lightpen to complete the horizontal trace+ (1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(1/10) -> for horizontal retrace+(1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(x1)/1024 -> for lightpen to move to the horizontal coordinate
Crystal037
Homework Statement
Suppose that a CRT has a square face of 40X40 centimeters and is refreshed in a noninterlaced manner at a rate of 60Hz. Ten percent of the time that the system takes to draw each scan line is used to return the CRT beam from the right edge to the left edge of the screen ( the horizontal-retrace time), and 10 percent of the total drawing time is allocated for the beam to return from the lower-right corner of the screen to the upper-left corner after each refresh is complete (the vertical -retrace time). Assume that the resolution of the display is 1024X1024. Find the relationship between the time at which a lightpen detects the beam and the lightpen's position. Give the results using both centimeters and screen coordinates for the location on the screen
Relevant Equations
time taken for 1 frame to be display = 1/60 sec
time taken for 1 horizontal line to be displayed=(1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024) ->as 10 percent is used for vertical retrace
time taken for 1 pixel to be displayed= (1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(90/100)*(1/1024) -> as 10 percent is used for horizontal retrace
This is how I am approaching the problem
let the lightpen be at a position (x,y) and the position to be plotted(x1,y1)
The the time lag =
(1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(1024-x)/1024 ->for lightpen to complete the horizontal trace
+ (1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(1/10) -> for horizontal retrace
+(1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(x1)/1024 -> for lightpen to move to the horizontal coordinate of position detected
+ (1/60)*(90/100)*(1/1024)*(1024-y)/(1024) -> for lightpen to complete vertical trace
+ (1/60)*(1/10) -> for vertical retrace
+ (1/60)*(90/100)*(y1/1024) -> for lightpen to move to the vertical coordinate of position detected

In the above equation what if the light pen is in the middle of retracing. I am not able to include that case in my equation.
The relationship in terms of screen coordinates, will it be (y1-y) and (x1-x).
I am not getting how am I supposed to approach this problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When is time zero?
Is it when the pixel( 0, 0) is displayed.

Baluncore said:
When is time zero?
Yes I think so but does it matter when we are trying to find the relationship between the time at which a lightpen detects the beam and the lightpen's position.

It may not matter, but it must be defined somewhere. A wise choice may make the process easier.

Can you see the (few) retrace lines on the screen>

Tom.G said:
Can you see the (few) retrace lines on the screen>
I believe this is a hypothetical problem.

Crystal037 said:
I am not getting how am I supposed to approach this problem
Much more simply!

If the light pen is at position (x, y) it detects the beam when the point (x, y) is plotted. This happens when the beam has plotted every row less than y and every pixel in the row y before x.

Baluncore said:
When is time zero?
We can fix our time base by calling the time when the beam starts in the top left corner ## t_0 ##. The answer will be in the form ## t_{x,y} = t_0 + a x + b y + c ##.

1. How does a lightpen work on a CRT screen?

A lightpen works on a CRT (cathode ray tube) screen by emitting a beam of light that is reflected back by the screen. The position of the lightpen on the screen is determined by measuring the time it takes for the light to travel from the pen to the screen and back.

2. What is the purpose of finding the position of a lightpen on a CRT screen?

The purpose of finding the position of a lightpen on a CRT screen is to enable the computer to interact with the user's input. By knowing the precise location of the lightpen on the screen, the computer can perform various actions such as drawing, selecting, or clicking on objects.

3. How is the position of a lightpen on a CRT screen determined?

The position of a lightpen on a CRT screen is determined by using a combination of hardware and software techniques. The hardware includes sensors in the lightpen and the CRT screen that measure the time it takes for the light to travel. The software then calculates the position based on this time measurement and the known dimensions of the screen.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the lightpen's position on a CRT screen?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the lightpen's position on a CRT screen. These include the resolution and refresh rate of the screen, the quality and alignment of the sensors, and any interference or obstructions between the lightpen and the screen. Calibration of the lightpen and screen can also impact the accuracy.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a lightpen for input on a CRT screen?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a lightpen for input on a CRT screen. Some common alternatives include a mouse, keyboard, or touch screen. However, these methods may not provide the same level of precision and direct interaction with the screen as a lightpen does.