Computer Networking: Worst Case Scenario

In summary, the conversation discusses the router architecture of a device with a T1 serial interface and two 100 Mbps Ethernet interfaces, and a 1 GB buffer for storing packet traffic. The question asks for the worst case scenario for the router's loss-less operations and what traffic pattern would result in this scenario. The conversation also mentions the possibility of downloading 1 GB of data in 5 msec over two 100 Mbps lines, but this is found to be incorrect due to the conversion between Mbps and MBps, as well as the difference between MB and GB.
sleepycorey

Homework Statement

Router architecture. Consider a router with a T1 serial interface and two 100 Mbps Ethernet interfaces. The router has a 1 GB buffer for storing packet traffic. Calculate, in the worst case, how long the router can sustain loss-less operations. Define carefully what traffic pattern will result in the worst case scenario.

The Attempt at a Solution

It has been a while since I've done anything with networking. I am pretty sure this is not as simple as if the two interfaces are both inputting 100 Mbps, the queue would get filled in 5 msec. I know the cpu will process some of the packets, but I do not quite remember everything

Physics news on Phys.org
sleepycorey said:

Homework Statement

Router architecture. Consider a router with a T1 serial interface and two 100 Mbps Ethernet interfaces. The router has a 1 GB buffer for storing packet traffic. Calculate, in the worst case, how long the router can sustain loss-less operations. Define carefully what traffic pattern will result in the worst case scenario.

The Attempt at a Solution

It has been a while since I've done anything with networking. I am pretty sure this is not as simple as if the two interfaces are both inputting 100 Mbps, the queue would get filled in 5 msec. I know the cpu will process some of the packets, but I do not quite remember everything
If you think you can download 1GB of data in 5 msec over 2 100Mbps lines you are going to be disappointed next time you download a movie...

100Mbps is how many MBps? And how many MB in a GB?

1. What is a computer network?

A computer network is a group of interconnected devices that can communicate with each other and share resources, such as data, files, and hardware.

2. What is the worst case scenario for computer networking?

The worst case scenario for computer networking is when the network experiences a complete failure, resulting in the loss of communication and access to shared resources.

3. What are the common causes of network failures?

Network failures can be caused by various factors, such as hardware malfunctions, software bugs or errors, power outages, cyber attacks, and human error.

4. How can network failures be prevented?

To prevent network failures, it is important to regularly maintain and update hardware and software, have backup systems in place, implement strong security measures, and have a disaster recovery plan.

5. What should be done in the event of a network failure?

In the event of a network failure, it is important to stay calm and troubleshoot the issue by checking connections, restarting devices, and contacting technical support if necessary.