Computer Science vs. Applied Math?

In summary: However, knowing specific languages/software suites is also important and something that should be considered when reviewing resumes.In summary, someone with a degree in applied mathematics would likely have a harder time finding a job in the software industry than someone with a computer science degree. However, if the applicant is interested in pursuing a career in software development, they should consider taking more math classes and also consider a degree in computer science.
Luminouzz
Hi, I'm currently a computer science student in my third year. I'm thinking about switching to applied math since I've ended up more interested in math, but I'm not sure whether this will limit my opportunities in the software industry.

I've taken almost all of the computer science classes for the major and have a good deal of programming experience. Would I have any trouble getting hired by large companies / getting past HR because I have an applied math degree instead of a computer science degree?

Also, if I decide to stay with the computer science major, how difficult would it be to get into grad school for applied math? I plan on taking most of the classes required for the applied math major, even if I continue with computer science.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What area of applied math are you specifically interested in? Computer science at the graduate level could still be what you are looking for. Like the material in your discrete math and theory of computation courses? Plenty of that in graduate school if you want. Like differential equations? Tons of Mathematical Modeling is done in most computer science graduate programs. I think if you are worried about employment then finish the CS degree while taking extra math courses and continue on to grad school if you wish.

If you are almost done, why not finish?

The inside scoop from someone I know who works at a top tech company (and interviews people, etc) is that people who screen resumes often look for a computer science degree from a department that they like. So, the word on the street is, yes, it will hurt your chances. Also, you might expect the nasty question of why you didn't finish the major to pop up in interviews.

My question to the OP is this: if you have an interest in math, why not take more math classes and double major in computer science and math/applied math? Is that not an option available to you? In that way, the option to pursue further graduate studies in either computer science or applied math is open to you, as well as not raising any potential issues with HR screening.

That being said, onto homeomorphic's point, the word I hear is precisely the opposite of what he states -- the specific knowledge or experience in programming (particularly in specific languages/platforms) is more important than any specific degree (although the question of why you didn't finish a major could indeed come up). But this may depend more on specific companies than anything else.

I agree that it's more important than the degree, but not having the degree will still make more people toss your resume. At the top tech companies, usually they care more about your problem-solving ability than knowing specific languages/platforms, so the best thing for those jobs is just to be ready to code on a whiteboard, otherwise the interviews can catch you off guard. The person I am referring to actually said that is the most important thing. Being able to get through a technical interview. She also said having some good projects can make up for a lack of a degree. So, if you wind up not finishing the degree, that's another option.

homeomorphic said:
I agree that it's more important than the degree, but not having the degree will still make more people toss your resume. At the top tech companies, usually they care more about your problem-solving ability than knowing specific languages/platforms, so the best thing for those jobs is just to be ready to code on a whiteboard, otherwise the interviews can catch you off guard. The person I am referring to actually said that is the most important thing. Being able to get through a technical interview. She also said having some good projects can make up for a lack of a degree. So, if you wind up not finishing the degree, that's another option.

In many tech companies that I'm familiar with, the requirements usually state the following, in addition to specific requirements for knowledge of particular programming languages or software suites: "a degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. mathematics, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering". With such a description, someone whose resume has the words "applied mathematics" on it likely won't have their resumes tossed.

I do agree that for software development positions, the ability to get through a technical interview as above is the most important thing, as it demonstrates the ability of the candidate to be able to work in that environment.

1. What is the main difference between computer science and applied math?

The main difference between computer science and applied math is the focus of each field. Computer science is primarily concerned with the study of computers and computational systems, while applied math is focused on the application of mathematical concepts and principles to real-world problems.

2. Which field has better job opportunities?

Both computer science and applied math have a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries. It ultimately depends on the individual's skills and interests, as both fields offer a wide range of career opportunities.

3. Can I major in both computer science and applied math?

Yes, many universities offer joint or dual degree programs in computer science and applied math. These programs allow students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and pursue careers that require a combination of skills from both disciplines.

4. What are the key skills required for a career in computer science?

Some key skills for a career in computer science include programming languages, problem-solving, critical thinking, and knowledge of algorithms and data structures. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative and constantly evolving field.

5. How do computer science and applied math overlap?

Computer science and applied math have many areas of overlap, such as in the fields of data science, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. Both fields also use mathematical principles and algorithms to solve complex problems and develop efficient solutions.