Computer science vs mechatronics engineering

In summary, if you want a career in robotics or automated systems, mechatronics engineering would be a good choice. However, if you're more interested in computers, computer science would be a better choice.
omar alaa
computer science vs mechatronics engineering , what to choose ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whichever one you want to do.

That's a pretty ambiguous question. You didn't provide any type of information about your background, ambitions...or...well...anything at all.

The only possible answer would be "whichever one you'd prefer."

I'm a 1st year engineering student and I like them both but I want to know about each one's opportunities and salaries and future

Mechatronics sounds awesome

Well mechatronics will give you a nice blend of mechanical and electrical engineering and also some programming ( computer science) and control system theory. It's a nice interdisciplinary degree.

Well, what appeals to you more? I was considering engineering for a while but after speaking with some engineers, considering the cost of engineering schools, considering my age, and considering how much I like computers I decided to go for CS.

I had a motors control class with a very professional looking (he dressed as though he was already working for a company) senior year mechatronics engineering student. Since his degree was all theory the company that hired him paid for him to learn some hands on things, such as plc programming, motor controls, etc.

While I was very good at those things, and I love calculus, computers just interest me more. Hardware, hex conversions, programming, networking, cyber crime laws, encryption, number theory, linear algebra, and so forth all interest me to the point of obsession so the change in majors just made sense for me.

As for salary, being talented with either degree will lead you towards a decent salary, it just depends on you. Go for what you enjoy, not just the higher salary. If you enjoy it you're more likely to do the extra studying that can push you ahead of everyone else.

I'd post more but I studied 10 hours today and it's late, I welcome anyone to disagree with or correct me.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I'm interested in robotics and automated system also I love CS but I'm still a 1st year engineering student so I don't have much experience ,I am learning java programming and I see it interesting also I want a decent career so what to do to get a choice ?

1. What is the difference between computer science and mechatronics engineering?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their applications, and their impact on society. Mechatronics engineering, on the other hand, is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and develop intelligent systems and machines.

2. Which field has a better job outlook?

Both computer science and mechatronics engineering have excellent job outlooks, with a high demand for skilled professionals in both fields. It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths, as well as the job market in your area.

3. Are there any similarities between computer science and mechatronics engineering?

Yes, there are several similarities between these two fields. Both involve the use of computer systems and software to design and develop solutions. They also require strong problem-solving and analytical skills.

4. Which field offers better salary prospects?

The salary prospects for both computer science and mechatronics engineering are promising, with opportunities for high-paying jobs in various industries. However, the salary ultimately depends on factors such as job role, location, and experience.

5. Can I pursue a career in both computer science and mechatronics engineering?

While it is possible to have a career in both fields, it may require a significant amount of time and effort to gain expertise in both areas. It is recommended to focus on one field and develop a strong skill set, but you can always apply your knowledge from one field to the other if needed.