Computer Simulation of Engine Performance

In summary, the conversation revolved around the creation of an engine simulation spreadsheet for the Nissan KA24DE engine. The speaker shared their excitement about the project and mentioned the need for further adjustments, while also acknowledging the importance of research and data in such projects. They also congratulated the creator and expressed interest in any future updates or improvements.
Jason Louison
Hello Physics Forums! After almost a year of haggling and research, I think I have successfully made a engine simulation spreadsheet! :oldbiggrin: I have simulated the Nissan KA24DE Engine with two different cam profiles:
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.51.04 PM.png

As far as I'm concerned, there is still a lot of work to be done. But I am very happy with the results so far. On the downside, The cylinder pressure function needs to be tweaked a bit, but I just wanted to share my findings so far with the physics forum!

Sources:
Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. Mc Graw Hill International Editions, 1988.

Abu-Nada, Eiyad & Al-Hinti, Ismael & Al-sarkhi, A & Akash, Bilal. (2006). Thermodynamic modeling of spark-ignition engine: Effect of temperature dependent specific heats. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer. 33. 1264-1272. 10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2006.06.014.

Kirkpatrick, Allan. Colorado State University Internal Combustion Engines Web Site, www.engr.colostate.edu/~allan/engines.html.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.13 PM.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 902
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.24.58 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 845
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.05 PM.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 859
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.25.24 PM.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 738
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.51.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 5.51.04 PM.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 728
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Keshav Santhanam, Majdi Mohammad, jerromyjon and 1 other person
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello there! Congratulations on successfully creating an engine simulation spreadsheet for the Nissan KA24DE engine. It's always exciting to see new developments in engine technology and I'm sure your findings will be of interest to many in the physics forum.

I agree that there is always room for improvement and tweaking in any scientific endeavor. It's great that you have identified the need to adjust the cylinder pressure function and I'm sure with further research and experimentation, you will be able to fine-tune your simulation even more.

I appreciate you sharing your sources with us as well. It's important to have a solid foundation of research and data when working on a project like this. The Heywood and Abu-Nada studies are excellent resources and I'm sure they have provided valuable insights for your simulation.

I wish you all the best in your continued research and development. Keep us updated on any new findings or improvements to your simulation. And once again, congratulations on your achievement!

1. What is computer simulation of engine performance?

Computer simulation of engine performance is a process of using computer software to simulate the behavior and performance of an engine. It involves creating a virtual model of the engine and analyzing its performance under different conditions.

2. Why is computer simulation important for engine performance?

Computer simulation allows engineers to test and evaluate the performance of an engine in a safe and controlled environment. It can help identify potential issues and optimize the design before building a physical prototype, saving time and resources.

3. What factors can be simulated in engine performance?

Computer simulation can take into account various factors that affect engine performance, such as fuel type, combustion process, air intake, valve timing, and exhaust emissions. It can also simulate different operating conditions, such as varying speeds and loads.

4. How accurate is computer simulation in predicting engine performance?

The accuracy of computer simulation depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the model. With accurate data and a well-developed model, computer simulations can provide highly accurate predictions of engine performance.

5. Can computer simulation be used for all types of engines?

Yes, computer simulation can be used for all types of engines, including gasoline, diesel, and electric. However, the level of complexity and accuracy may vary depending on the type of engine and the purpose of the simulation.