Computer System Architecture: Understanding State Tables/Diagrams

• Thread starter EEhokie13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of state tables/diagrams in computer system architecture and how they work. The person is struggling to understand the concept and asks for help in creating a table for two flip flops with two inputs and one output. The response explains that the table would have three inputs, including the previous state, and clarifies the role of the previous state in stateful objects.
EEhokie13
Hey,
My textbook, Computer System Architecture, by M. Morris Mano, describes state tables/diagrams. After reading over them a few times I am still struggling to understand the concept or actually how they work. For example if you have two flip flops, Da and Db with two inputs, x and y, with one output z how would your make the table?

Da = x(not)y + xA
Db = x(not)B + xA
z = B

I do know that the table starts with a present state, which i think means Da? but I get lost from there. Any help will be great. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you have a stateful object, the previous state is usually shown as an independent input. Therefore you have three inputs, x, y, and previous state.

Related to Computer System Architecture: Understanding State Tables/Diagrams

1. What is a state table/diagram in computer system architecture?

A state table/diagram is a visual representation of the states, inputs, and outputs of a computer system. It shows the different possible states of the system, the inputs that cause transitions between states, and the outputs that are generated in each state.

2. Why is understanding state tables/diagrams important in computer system architecture?

State tables/diagrams provide a clear and organized way to analyze and design complex computer systems. They help identify potential errors, determine system behavior, and ensure proper functionality and reliability.

3. How do you read a state table/diagram?

A state table/diagram typically consists of columns representing the current state, inputs, next state, and outputs. The rows represent the different possible combinations of states and inputs. The arrows between states show the transitions and the corresponding outputs. The final state or output is usually indicated by a double line or a "stop" symbol.

4. What is the difference between a state table and a state diagram?

A state table is a tabular representation of states, inputs, and outputs, while a state diagram is a graphical representation using nodes and arrows. Both convey the same information, but a state diagram may be easier to understand for visual learners.

5. Can state tables/diagrams be used for any type of computer system?

Yes, state tables/diagrams can be used for any type of computer system, including hardware and software. They are particularly useful for complex systems with many different states and inputs.