Computing Hamiltonian matrix for a 1-D spin chain.

In summary, a 1-D spin chain is a theoretical model used in condensed matter physics to describe a chain of interacting particles with spin. The Hamiltonian matrix is a mathematical representation of the total energy of the system, which is computed by considering spin interactions and using techniques like diagonalization. Computing the Hamiltonian matrix allows for a better understanding of the system's properties and behavior, but there are limitations such as increasing complexity and potential inaccuracy compared to the real system.
minerva
I'm not going to "follow the template provided" in the strictest sense - but I'm going to include all the same information expected - statement of the problem and a showing of how I've tried to do it, in the intended "spirit" of the template, since these different components are kind of "mixed" throughout my post.

If that's really not OK, please let me know nicely, and I'll use the template strictly next time.

We consider a set of three spin-1/2 particles. Each particle can of course have spin 1/2, or spin up, or spin -1/2, spin down. For the sake of having nice whole numbers to deal with, we shall denote spin up by 1 and spin down by -1, so a particular spin can be +/-1.

Hence, we have 8 possible states, working in the Sz basis: [1, 1, 1], [1, 1, -1]... and the six other binary combinations of the three spin sites.

Now, the Hamiltonian in the Heisenberg spin chain model, in one dimension, is [itex]H = \sum^{N-1}_{k = 0} [H_z(k) + H_f(k)][/itex]. It's that operator that I want to compute the corresponding Hamiltonian matrix for.

Or, in other words, for three spins, H = Hz(0) + Hf(0) + Hz(1) + Hf(1).

Hz(k) is the diagonal operator, and Hf(k) is the flipping operator.

For the moment, let's ignore the Hf(k) terms and look only at Hz(k).

The operation of Hz(k) on a basis state [itex]| \psi \rangle[/itex] gives us sz(k) sz(k+1) [itex]| \psi \rangle[/itex].

OK, suppose we consider the [1, 1, 1] state vector.

So, Hz(0) [1, 1, 1] = [1, 1, 1], multiplying by the spins of the first two sites, and Hz(1) [1, 1, 1] = [1, 1, 1], multiplying by the spins of the second two sites.

Is this the right implementation of this operator in this context?

But the overall Hamiltonian operator is the sum of these individual components of the operator - and therefore, so it would seem, the overall result of operating on such a vector with this operator is the sum of the results of those sub-components of the operator - So I just add those vectors together, and get something like [2, 2, 2] in this particular case. Is this right, or not?

We can operate on each of the eight state vectors and get some new, transformed vectors: [2, 2, 2], [0.5, -0.5, 0.5], ... etc. for a particular Hamiltonian, for each of those 8 state vectors. (This should be the sum over both the flipping operator and diagonal operator terms... although I haven't written down the details of the flipping operator.)

Now, to generate each of the 64 elements of the Hamiltonian matrix, I want to take the inner product of the i'th original state vector with the j'th transformed state vector... right?

But what kind of algorithm do I use for the inner product in this case?

It cannot be just a dot product, because if I just make the Hamiltonian operator some simple scalar multiple, then any state vector must be an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian and hence we must get a diagonal matrix for the Hamiltonian, as per the Kronecker delta function... which we will not if we just naively use a dot product, because we won't be getting all those 0 terms in the off-diagonal positions.

So, how do I compute the correct inner product?

Also, is my general methodology for computing the Hamiltonian matrix sound?

Thanks greatly, in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions about computing the Hamiltonian matrix for a set of three spin-1/2 particles. I appreciate your effort to include all the necessary information in the spirit of the provided template, and I am happy to help address your concerns and provide guidance.

Firstly, your understanding of the Hamiltonian operator and its components (Hz(k) and Hf(k)) is correct. The overall Hamiltonian operator is indeed the sum of these individual components, and it is important to consider both the diagonal and flipping terms when computing the Hamiltonian matrix.

In terms of your methodology for computing the Hamiltonian matrix, it seems sound. However, it is always helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are considering all relevant terms and states.

Regarding your question about the inner product, you are correct that it cannot be a simple dot product. The inner product in this case would involve taking the complex conjugate of one vector and multiplying it by the other vector, and then summing over all elements. This can be written as <\psi_i | \psi_j>, where \psi_i and \psi_j are the original and transformed state vectors, respectively. This will give you the desired 64 elements for the Hamiltonian matrix.

I hope this helps answer your questions and provides some clarity. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is a 1-D spin chain?

A 1-D spin chain is a theoretical model used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of a chain of interacting particles, where each particle has an intrinsic property called spin. The spins can either be up or down, and they interact with each other through a specific set of rules.

2. What is a Hamiltonian matrix?

A Hamiltonian matrix is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a physical system. In the context of a 1-D spin chain, it describes the interactions between the spins and their resulting energies.

3. How is the Hamiltonian matrix computed for a 1-D spin chain?

The Hamiltonian matrix for a 1-D spin chain is computed by considering the spin interactions between neighboring particles and applying the rules of quantum mechanics. This involves using mathematical techniques such as matrix representations and diagonalization to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

4. What is the significance of computing the Hamiltonian matrix for a 1-D spin chain?

Computing the Hamiltonian matrix allows us to understand the behavior of the 1-D spin chain system and make predictions about its properties, such as its energy levels and how it will evolve over time. This is important in understanding the behavior of many physical systems, including magnetic materials and quantum computing systems.

5. Are there any limitations to computing the Hamiltonian matrix for a 1-D spin chain?

Yes, there are limitations to computing the Hamiltonian matrix for a 1-D spin chain. One limitation is that it becomes increasingly complex and computationally intensive as the size of the spin chain increases. Additionally, the model may not accurately reflect the behavior of the actual physical system, as it is a simplified representation of a more complex reality.