Comsol 3.5x: Obtaining boundary coordinates from irregular geom obj

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to extract 1D data from a newly-created geometry in Comsol 4.x. The person is currently exporting greyscale images and extracting intensities, which is a laborious process. They are looking for a more efficient way to extract this data, such as drawing a 2D plane through the 3D geometry or using post-processing tools. Another suggestion is to use bilinear interpolation or drawing a line to report attribute values along the trajectory.
grumpymrgruff
I don't have access to Comsol 4.x.

I imported a 3D mesh generated from point cloud data and generated a geometry. (A hollow almost-ellipsoid.) I solve my system on the surface/boundary alone; there is no volumetric data.

I need to extract 1D data from the surface/boundary at points other than the original mesh points. The problem is that I don't know the x,y,z coords of the newly-created geometry except at the mesh points.

Does anyone know how to:

a) Draw a 2D plane/boundary through the 3D geometry and extract data where the 2D boundaries intercept?

or

b) Get creative with the post-processing tools to export these data? (These all seem to require x,y,z coords I don't have a priori.)

Right now I am exporting greyscale images to image processing software and extracting intensities - very laborious and inelegant.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
don't know much about this, I am just going to throw one concept out there: bilinear interpolation...is that what you are doing with the image?

Say, on that comsol program, if you want 1D data along the surface of the object, can you just draw a line from one point to another and let the program report to you the value of the attribute (nodal solution or whatever) versus the length of the line (0..1)? The software should be able to interpolate for a value anywhere inside each element and report attribute values along the trajectory indicated...no? I am just saying this 'cause I seem to recall similar abilities in ANSYS.

Related to Comsol 3.5x: Obtaining boundary coordinates from irregular geom obj

1. What is Comsol 3.5x?

Comsol 3.5x is a software used for finite element analysis and modeling in various scientific and engineering fields. It allows users to simulate and analyze complex physical phenomena and systems.

2. How can I obtain boundary coordinates from irregular geometry objects in Comsol 3.5x?

To obtain boundary coordinates from irregular geometry objects in Comsol 3.5x, you can use the "Boundary Coordinates" feature. This allows you to select the geometry object and automatically obtain its boundary coordinates, which can then be used for further analysis and modeling.

3. Can I import my own geometry objects into Comsol 3.5x?

Yes, Comsol 3.5x allows users to import their own geometry objects in various file formats such as STEP, IGES, and STL. This allows for more flexibility and customization in simulations and analysis.

4. Is there a limit to the number of geometry objects I can use in Comsol 3.5x?

No, there is no limit to the number of geometry objects that can be used in Comsol 3.5x. However, it is important to note that the more complex the geometry, the longer the simulation time may be.

5. Can I export my simulations and results from Comsol 3.5x?

Yes, Comsol 3.5x allows users to export their simulations and results in various formats such as images, animations, and data files. This allows for easy sharing and analysis of the results with others.