Concentration Ratio of protein

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buyoancy and its effect on the effective mass of myoglobin, a globular protein with a molar mass of approximately 17,000g/mole. The buoyant correction typically reduces the effective mass to 0.25m. Using the densities of myoglobin and water, it is determined that myoglobin will sink to the bottom of a 4 cm test tube. This results in the concentration of myoglobin at the top being 0 and the concentration at the bottom being M. Therefore, the concentration ratio of the bottom and top is 0/M, which equals 0. The purpose of including the molar mass in the problem is unclear.
mimocs
Myoglobin is a globular protein, with molar mass m ≈ 17,000g/mole. The buoyant correction typically reduces m to m' ≈ 0.25m. Calculate the concentration ratio of the protein at the top of a 4 cm test tube and that at the bottom.

Here, m' stands for effective mass.

I tried as below.

I used the equation of buyoancy so that the effective mass reduce into 0.25m.

m'g = (ρ-ρ')Vg = 0.25mg = 0.25ρVg
(ρ is the density of myoglobin, and ρ' is the density of water)
→ 0.75ρ = ρ'

So since ρ > ρ', I think the myoglobin should sink to the bottom of the test tube.

As a result, the concentration of myoglobin at the top is 0 and let the concentration of the bottom is M.

Then, concentration ratio of bottom and the top becomes 0 / M which gives me 0.

However, I don't think my answer is reasonable.
Why does the problem give me the molar mass?

I hope anyone could ever help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

sorry, I still couldn't find out anything more, wish I knew anything new.

deeply sorry.

Related to Concentration Ratio of protein

1. What is the concentration ratio of protein?

The concentration ratio of protein refers to the amount of protein present in a solution compared to the total volume of the solution. It is typically expressed in units of grams per liter (g/L) or milligrams per milliliter (mg/mL).

2. How is the concentration ratio of protein calculated?

The concentration ratio of protein is calculated by dividing the mass of protein in a solution by the total volume of the solution. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as spectrophotometry or Bradford assay.

3. Why is the concentration ratio of protein important?

The concentration ratio of protein is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure and compare the amount of protein in different samples. This information can be used to determine the purity of a protein sample, monitor changes in protein concentration over time, and assess the success of protein purification processes.

4. What factors can affect the concentration ratio of protein?

The concentration ratio of protein can be affected by a variety of factors, including the initial concentration of protein in a sample, the accuracy of the measurement method, and any changes in the volume of the solution due to evaporation or dilution. Additionally, certain proteins may interact with other molecules in the solution, leading to changes in their concentration ratio.

5. How can the concentration ratio of protein be optimized?

The concentration ratio of protein can be optimized by carefully selecting the appropriate measurement method, ensuring accurate and precise measurements, and minimizing any factors that may affect the concentration of protein in the solution. This may involve using proper storage and handling techniques, as well as conducting thorough quality control checks throughout the experimental process.