Concept of Hidrostatic Pressure in Random Shaped Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hydrostatic pressure and how it is affected by the depth of a liquid in a container. The best answer is determined to be Pz > Px > Py, but it is not listed as an option in the question. The shape of the container does not affect the pressure at each point and the conversation suggests that there may be a mistake in the book's answer. The total pressure at each point is calculated by adding the atmospheric pressure to the product of the liquid's density, gravity, and depth.
Vermilion X
Homework Statement
[Translate to English]
Look at the following picture, the true statement is?
Relevant Equations
Hidrostatic Pressure - P = rho . g . h
Hello Everyone!
this question is using Indonesian language, i have translated the question at "Homework Statement". The container is filled by water (in Indonesian, "Air" means "Water")

i know the the pressure at point X, Y and Z depends on their corresponding depth. my best answer is :

Pz > Px > Py

But the answer is not available in the question, I'm wondering the shape which point Y and Z have something to do with the answer. I'm hoping you guys give me the basic concept of Hidrostatic Pressure regarding of this question. Thank you!
F0140831P037 - Myra Kelana.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Vermilion X ,
:welcome: !​

Your best answer is my best answer. I expect there is a mistake in the book answers.

##\ ##

Vermilion X said:
Relevant Equations:: Hidrostatic Pressure - P = rho . g . h
i know the the pressure at point X, Y and Z depends on their corresponding depth. my best answer is :

Pz > Px > Py

But the answer is not available in the question, I'm wondering the shape which point Y and Z have something to do with the answer. I'm hoping you guys give me the basic concept of Hidrostatic Pressure regarding of this question. Thank you!View attachment 277429
Total pressure at each point is ##P_{atmospheric} + \rho g h##
The shape of the container does not affect this.

So your answer is correct. ##P_z>P_x>P_y##. This is not in the list of answers.

However, the diagram may be badly drawn - perhaps x and y are meant to be at the same height. That would give answer ‘a’.

What is the concept of hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel?

The concept of hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel refers to the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it. This pressure is evenly distributed throughout the vessel and is dependent on the depth of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the gravitational force.

How is hydrostatic pressure calculated in a random shaped vessel?

Hydrostatic pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the depth of the fluid.

What factors can affect the hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel?

The hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel can be affected by the depth of the fluid, the density of the fluid, and the gravitational force. Additionally, the shape of the vessel and any irregularities or obstructions can also affect the pressure distribution.

What is the significance of understanding hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel?

Understanding the concept of hydrostatic pressure in a random shaped vessel is important in various industries such as engineering, marine biology, and geology. It helps in designing and constructing structures that can withstand the pressure of fluids, predicting the behavior of fluids in different environments, and studying the effects of pressure on living organisms.

How is hydrostatic pressure used in real-life applications?

Hydrostatic pressure is used in real-life applications such as designing and constructing dams, pipelines, and submarines. It is also used in measuring the depth of oceans and lakes, studying the behavior of aquatic animals, and in medical procedures such as hydrostatic weighing to measure body fat percentage.