Concept underlying recent Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment

In summary, the recent experiment by Serra and Lutz demonstrated a new understanding of the concept of entropy and the arrow of time. By creating a correlation between the hydrogen and carbon atoms in a chloroform molecule, the system had less initial entropy. However, when the correlation decohered, heat was released and entropy increased. The question arises as to why the heat flow from the cold carbon atom to the warm hydrogen atom occurred, resulting in a decrease in the net entropy increase. This phenomenon is yet to be fully understood by physicists, but it is suggested that the heat flow may have been required to offset the decreased organization from the lost correlation. The paper, "Reversing the thermodynamic arrow of time using quantum correlations" by
overzealous
Hi, I'm trying to understand in a simple, non-mathematical way the basic concept underlying why a particular, very recent experiment turned out the way it did.

The experiment, by Serra and Lutz entitled 'Reversing the thermodynamic arrow of time using quantum correlations', demonstrated an interesting wrinkle in the 'arrow of time' and entropy concepts. I understand this much: the experimenters took a chloroform molecule and cooled the Carbon atom and warmed the Hydrogen atom, and also created a correlation between the hydrogen and carbon atoms. Because this correlation constituted 'information', and information isn't just something in the mind of a human being but has a physical meaning in the world, this correlation/information represented 'organization' as opposed to 'randomness' and therefore the system in the experiment had-- as an initial value for entropy-- less entropy than would have been the case if there were no correlation between the H and C atoms in the nucleus. (I think I've presented everything up to this point correctly-- if not, please indicate exactly what errors I've made.)

Then, apparently two things happened next: the correlation between the H and C atoms decohered, and 'heat' flowed from the cold Carbon atom to the warm Hydrogen atom in the nucleus of the chloroform. Because the dissolving of the correlation was accompanied by an increase of entropy, heat was released, as is always the case when entropy increases. That much I understand.

What I don't understand (and what wasn't explained in either Serra and Lutz's paper or the article I read about their paper) is this: why, in this case, did the release of heat because of the loss of 'information' contained in the now-decohered correlation not just go into the environment and nothing more-- why was it accompanied by a flow of heat from the cold Carbon atom to the warm Hydrogen atom, which was therefore doing 'work' by creating less randomness and thus we see a lesser net entropy increase (Entropy increased by X amount because of the end of the correlation between H and C atoms, but entropy decreased by Y amount because of the flow of heat from the cold C to the warm H, thus reducing the net Entropy increase in the system.) Why did that happen?-- and since it was predicted to occur, there must be some physical requirement for it to happen that is well understood by physicists. Could you explain it to me please? I'm wondering if the correlation that existed between the H and C atoms required that some of the heat generated by the dissolving of the correlation 'stay at home' with the correlated pair and be used to offset the decreased organization from the lost correlation by increasing the organization elsewhere if possible, and in this case that meant having heat flow from the cold C to the warm H. (That is sheer speculation on my part based on no knowledge at all!)

Note: I've just been informed by a Mentor that 'speculation' is not allowed in this forum, so let me amend my characterization of my comment: Upon further review, I realize it was not sheer speculation based on no knowledge at all but rather (possibly) brilliantly insightful analysis based on limited information... although I'm ready to be breezily disabused of that notion!

The mentor also requested a link to the paper. A friend of mine (who has access to this sort of thing) sent me a copy of the paper after considerable begging on my part-- unfortunately I don't have a link, but for those who have access to scientific papers, I gave the exact title of it above, and the two lead authors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For information, the paper can be found here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.03323

It has not yet been peer-reviewed, but I can vouch for the seriousness of Lutz. I haven't read it yet.

1. What is the concept underlying the recent Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment?

The concept underlying the recent Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment is the phenomenon of heat transfer and how it can be manipulated to achieve a desired outcome. Specifically, the experiment aims to demonstrate the potential for cooling a cold object while simultaneously heating a hot object using only thermal conductors and without the need for external energy sources.

2. How does the Serra-Lutz experiment work?

The Serra-Lutz experiment works by utilizing a series of thermal conductors, such as metal bars, to transfer heat between two objects. The cold object is placed in direct contact with the thermal conductors, while the hot object is placed at the opposite end. As heat is transferred from the hot object to the thermal conductors, it is then conducted to the cold object, effectively cooling it down while simultaneously heating the hot object.

3. What is the significance of the Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment?

The significance of the Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment lies in its potential applications in energy conservation. By demonstrating the possibility of cooling a cold object while simultaneously heating a hot object using only thermal conductors, the experiment challenges traditional notions of energy transfer and opens up new possibilities for more efficient energy usage.

4. Has the Serra-Lutz experiment been replicated by other scientists?

Yes, the Serra-Lutz experiment has been replicated by other scientists, with similar results. This adds credibility to the experiment and supports the validity of its concept and findings.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of the Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment?

The potential real-world applications of the Serra-Lutz cold-to-hot experiment include more efficient heating and cooling systems, as well as potentially reducing energy consumption in industries such as manufacturing and transportation. It may also have implications for renewable energy sources and waste heat recovery.