Conceptual problem on momentum

In summary, the linear momentum of a purely rotating body, such as a disk hinged at a point and rotating with some angular speed, is zero in the inertial frame of reference of its center of mass. However, if the point of rotation is not the center of mass, the body will have non-zero linear momentum relative to an inertial frame of reference defined by the point of rotation.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Does a purely rotating body (something like a disk hinged at a point and rotating with some angular speed) have zero linear momentum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it will, but I'm not like completely convinced. I tried to draw an analogy with a purely translating body having zero angular momentum, but that's only when the angular momentum is considered about the center of mass, not any random point. But linear momentum isn't defined with respect to points. So, I'm pretty sure that a purely rotating body has zero linear momentum, but I'd just like somebody to confirm it.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Does a purely rotating body (something like a disk hinged at a point and rotating with some angular speed) have zero linear momentum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it will, but I'm not like completely convinced. I tried to draw an analogy with a purely translating body having zero angular momentum, but that's only when the angular momentum is considered about the center of mass, not any random point. But linear momentum isn't defined with respect to points. So, I'm pretty sure that a purely rotating body has zero linear momentum, but I'd just like somebody to confirm it.
Linear momentum is defined relative to an inertial frame of reference. The answer to your question (without the parentheses) is: yes, in the inertial frame of reference of the the centre of mass of the rotating body. Essentially, the linear momenta of all the parts of the body at any given moment sum to zero. The answer to your question (with the parentheses) is: not necessarily. If a disk is hinged at a point other than its centre of mass, then the centre of mass will be rotating and the linear momentum of all parts at a given moment will not sum to zero. It will have non-zero linear momentum relative to the inertial frame of reference defined by the centre of rotation, but that linear momentum will keep changing direction.

AM

Likes erisedk

Related to Conceptual problem on momentum

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a property of moving objects that describes their tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its rate of change of momentum. This means that if the momentum of an object changes, it must be due to the action of a net force.

3. Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning that it cannot be created or destroyed. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, even if individual objects within the system exchange momentum with each other.

4. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. Momentum, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the quantity of motion of an object. While velocity only takes into account an object's speed and direction, momentum also considers its mass.

5. How is the concept of momentum applied in real-world situations?

Momentum is applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as collisions between objects, the movement of fluids, and the behavior of particles in quantum physics. It is also used in sports, where athletes utilize momentum to increase the force of their movements or to maintain balance and control. In engineering, momentum is a crucial factor in designing efficient systems, such as rockets and transportation vehicles.