Conceptual question-antenna

• Thread starter sona1177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the question is asking how a second electric dipole antenna should be oriented to serve as a receiver at a point due north of the transmitter. The answer is that the antenna should be oriented vertically, aligned with the electric field which is also vertical. The question also asks how a magnetic dipole antenna should be oriented, and the answer is along the east-west axis, aligned with the direction of the magnetic field. The exact orientation of the antennas may depend on the specific design and placement of the transmitter and receiver.
sona1177

Homework Statement

An electric dipole antenna used to transmit radio waves is oriented vertically.

At a point due north of the transmitter, how should a second electric dipole antenna be oriented to serve as a receiver?

answer=vertical (since it should be aligned with the electric field, which is also vertical). I am not sure if this is right.

At a point due north of the transmitter, how should a MAGNETIC dipole antenna be oriented to serve as the receiver.

The magnetic field is along the east-west axis. So i don't understand why the receiver isn't along the east/west axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by the receiver being "along the east/west axis"?

It's direction.

I don't understand how to figure out where the electric and magnetic dipole antennas are supposed to be oriented. Could you help me with this please?

I realize you probably have a picture in your head and what you are writing seems to describe that picture perfectly, but when you say the receiver (I assume you mean antenna here) is oriented along the east-west axis, it's not at all clear to me what you mean. You need to be a bit more explicit and define what you mean by the orientation of the antenna.

vela said:
I realize you probably have a picture in your head and what you are writing seems to describe that picture perfectly, but when you say the receiver (I assume you mean antenna here) is oriented along the east-west axis, it's not at all clear to me what you mean. You need to be a bit more explicit and define what you mean by the orientation of the antenna.

This is the question as it is written in the book:

An electric dipole antenna used to transmit radio waves is oriented vertically.

a) At a point due south of the transmitter, what is the direction of the wave's magnetic field?

b) At a point due north of the transmitter, how should a second electric dipole antenna be oriented to serve as a receiver?

c) At a point due north of the transmitter, how should a magnetic dipole antenna be oriented to serve as a receiver?

I don't know how to do this problem at all. other than knowing that the direction of the wave's magnetic field is east/west

Last edited:

1. What is an antenna and how does it work?

An antenna is a device that is used for transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. It works by converting electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. This allows for the transmission and reception of information, such as radio or TV signals.

2. What factors affect the performance of an antenna?

The performance of an antenna can be affected by various factors, including its size, shape, orientation, and the materials used to construct it. The surrounding environment, such as buildings or other objects, can also impact its performance.

3. Can an antenna be used for more than one type of signal?

Yes, an antenna can be designed to receive and transmit various types of signals, such as radio, TV, cellular, and satellite signals. However, different antennas may be required for optimal performance with each type of signal.

4. How does the location of an antenna affect its performance?

The location of an antenna can have a significant impact on its performance. Factors such as distance from the source, elevation, and obstructions can affect the strength and quality of the signal received. It is important to carefully consider the location when installing an antenna for optimal performance.

5. Can an antenna be affected by weather conditions?

Yes, weather conditions can affect the performance of an antenna. For example, heavy rain or snow can cause signal interference and decrease the strength of the signal. Strong winds can also cause the antenna to move, which can affect its reception and transmission capabilities.