Concussion question regarding PSI for football helmets

• B
  • Thread starter tmh556
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psi
In summary, the question is whether there is a way to determine the psi (pounds per square inch) on a football helmet that causes 70 to 120 gs of force on the human brain. According to an article from Science Daily, the more important quantity to consider is "impulse." However, with the given information that the head weighs 7 kg and has a cross sectional area of 0.03 sq meters, at 120g the pressure is calculated to be 274 kPa. The issue may arise from the rest of the body attached to the head, which can also accelerate and rotate, potentially increasing the force on the head.
tmh556
Hi, I have a bit of a random question which is a little apples to oranges. I saw that concussions on the human brain are caused at roughly 70 to 120 g forces as measured from sensors placed on a football helmet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar...nt=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_tn49Y8j2J76jz7sP8d2o8AU_4 My question is...is there a way to figure out the psi (pounds per square inch) on the helmet that causes this 70 to 120 gs. Is there a way to infer this or roughly estimate this number? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

• Haha
Likes tade and fresh_42
Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Usually when we get impact questions we are stymied by not knowing the acceleration. Here we have it, so I don't see why it can't be answered. If the head is 7 kg and has a cross sectional area of 0.03 sq meters, at 120g the pressure is 274 kPa.

russ_watters said:
Usually when we get impact questions we are stymied by not knowing the acceleration. Here we have it, so I don't see why it can't be answered. If the head is 7 kg and has a cross sectional area of 0.03 sq meters, at 120g the pressure is 274 kPa.
I would suspect the issue is with the remainder of the body attached to the head (hopefully :-p ). It is going to accelerate and rotate from the force along with the head. That should increase the force for a given “head” acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

Related to Concussion question regarding PSI for football helmets

1. What is PSI and why is it important for football helmets?

PSI stands for pounds per square inch, which is a unit of measurement for air pressure. In football helmets, PSI is important because it affects the fit and performance of the helmet. A properly inflated helmet can help absorb impact and reduce the risk of concussion.

2. How does PSI impact the safety of football helmets?

The PSI of a football helmet can impact its safety in several ways. An overinflated helmet can cause discomfort and reduce the helmet's ability to absorb impact, while an underinflated helmet can increase the risk of concussion by not providing enough cushioning.

3. What is the recommended PSI for football helmets?

The recommended PSI for football helmets varies depending on the brand and model. However, most manufacturers recommend a range of 12-14 PSI. It is important to check the manufacturer's guidelines and regularly check and adjust the PSI of your helmet.

4. How can I check the PSI of my football helmet?

You can check the PSI of your football helmet by using a pressure gauge specifically designed for helmets. These gauges can be purchased at sporting goods stores or online. It is important to check the PSI before each use to ensure the helmet is properly inflated.

5. Can changing the PSI of my football helmet prevent concussions?

While properly inflating your football helmet can help reduce the risk of concussion, it is not a guarantee. The fit, condition, and overall design of the helmet also play a significant role in preventing concussions. It is important to wear a well-fitting and properly maintained helmet to help protect against head injuries.