In summary: You are not doing a correct A-B comparison. You are comparing the field of materials science and engineering (MSE) with condensed matter physics (CMP), which is a subfield of physics. If we're talking about US grad schools, typically (as always, there may be outliers lurking somewhere), you will apply for a PhD program in MSE or a PhD program in physics. Yes, some MSE programs are stronger in traditional metallurgy than semiconductor materials. But, so too, some physics programs are stronger in high-energy physics than semiconductor physics. So what? You pick MSE depts with strong programs in semiconductor materials or physics depts with strong programs in semiconductor physics [note that CMP has a much broader scope than
Joaco
Hi, I'm an undergrad materials engineering student. I am thinking of studying all the way to a PhD as I'm interested on working in research. Right now I work with Semiconductors and I like the field a lot. However, considering what I'm studying, I want to know if it's a good Idea to look for a PhD. on CM Physucs or go deeper on MSE?. I'll be thankful to read your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joaco said:
Hi, I'm an undergrad materials engineering student. I am thinking of studying all the way to a PhD as I'm interested on working in research. Right now I work with Semiconductors and I like the field a lot. However, considering what I'm studying, I want to know if it's a good Idea to look for a PhD. on CM Physucs or go deeper on MSE?. I'll be thankful to read your opinion.

You have not given any compelling reason to switch to condensed matter physics other than the statement "... considering what I'm studying...", and I'm not even sure what that means. Semiconductors are as relevant in Material Science as it is in CMP. It is not a sufficient reason to switch.

Similarly, you WILL do research, and a lot of it, if you go on to do your PhD in Material Science. So that also isn't a valid reason to switch.

If you wish to try again and list out why you are considering such a switch, I'd like to see it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You have not given any compelling reason to switch to condensed matter physics other than the statement "... considering what I'm studying...", and I'm not even sure what that means. Semiconductors are as relevant in Material Science as it is in CMP. It is not a sufficient reason to switch.

Similarly, you WILL do research, and a lot of it, if you go on to do your PhD in Material Science. So that also isn't a valid reason to switch.

If you wish to try again and list out why you are considering such a switch, I'd like to see it.

Zz.
I have been looking thru schools, and found that some have MSE research programs with a metallurgy orientation, and when I look for CMP the relevance of semiconductors is higher. I know I will do research in both areas but I understand approach is different, and I want to know how relevant is that on selecting the subject.

Joaco said:
I have been looking thru schools, and found that some have MSE research programs with a metallurgy orientation, and when I look for CMP the relevance of semiconductors is higher. I know I will do research in both areas but I understand approach is different, and I want to know how relevant is that on selecting the subject.

Which schools did you look at? I'm surprised you only saw schools dealing with metallurgy. Did you look, for example, at UIUC?

Secondly, you should know that CMP is a physics degree, and that means that you will have to go through a physics graduate program. Are you sufficiently prepared for such a program?

Zz.

Joaco said:
You are not doing a correct A-B comparison. You are comparing the field of materials science and engineering (MSE) with condensed matter physics (CMP), which is a subfield of physics. If we're talking about US grad schools, typically (as always, there may be outliers lurking somewhere), you will apply for a PhD program in MSE or a PhD program in physics. Yes, some MSE programs are stronger in traditional metallurgy than semiconductor materials. But, so too, some physics programs are stronger in high-energy physics than semiconductor physics. So what? You pick MSE depts with strong programs in semiconductor materials or physics depts with strong programs in semiconductor physics [note that CMP has a much broader scope than semiconductor physics]. As a follow-up to Zz's post #4, have you looked at MSE PhD programs at UIUC, MIT, Cornell, Northwestern, and U of Mich Ann Arbor (just to name a few that I'm familiar with)?

If this is the primary issue affecting your choice, it's really a non-issue. If you have other issues, please ask.

Last edited:

1. What is the main difference between condensed matter physics and materials science?

The main difference between condensed matter physics and materials science is their focus. Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that studies the macroscopic and microscopic properties of matter in its condensed phases, such as solids and liquids. Materials science, on the other hand, focuses on the discovery, design, and development of new materials with specific properties for various applications.

2. How do the research methods differ between condensed matter physics and materials science?

The research methods used in condensed matter physics and materials science share similarities, such as experimental techniques and theoretical modeling. However, materials science also involves the synthesis and characterization of materials, while condensed matter physics may focus more on fundamental theories and simulations.

3. Can a condensed matter physicist work in the field of materials science?

Yes, a condensed matter physicist can work in the field of materials science. The knowledge and skills in condensed matter physics, such as understanding the behavior of condensed matter systems and using theoretical models, can be applied in materials science to discover and design new materials with specific properties.

4. What are the main applications of condensed matter physics and materials science?

The main applications of condensed matter physics include electronics, superconductors, and quantum computing. Materials science has a wider range of applications, such as in medicine, energy production, and construction.

5. Which field has a higher demand for researchers, condensed matter physics or materials science?

Both condensed matter physics and materials science have high demand for researchers in various industries and academic institutions. The demand may vary depending on the specific research area and current advancements in technology, but both fields have promising career opportunities.