Condition for condensation from adiabatic expansion

In summary, the conversation involves a question about part (c) of a problem, which involves using the equations for adiabatic expansion and liquid-vapour phase coexistence to determine the conditions for condensation to occur. The person attempting the problem is stuck on how to solve for the desired answer and is seeking clarification on their approach.
jek8214

Homework Statement

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-15%20at%2012.31.43_zpsaqy8mauj.png

I'm stuck on part (c) of this question.

Homework Equations

$$T\frac{d}{dT}\bigg(\frac{L}{T}\bigg) \equiv \frac{dL}{dT} - \frac{L}{T}.$$
Clausius-Clapeyron equation:
$$ \frac{dp}{dT} = \frac{L}{T\Delta V} \approx \frac{L}{TV_{vap}}.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach has been to find the equations for the adiabatic expansion in the p-T plane, given by
$$\ln\bigg(\frac{p}{p_0}\bigg) = \frac{C_{p_{vap}}}{R}\ln T$$
and the equation for the liquid-vapour phase coexistence curve, given by
$$\ln\bigg(\frac{p}{p_0}\bigg) = -\frac{L_0}{RT} + \frac{\Delta C_p}{R}\ln T.$$
Then for condensation to occur, the curves need to intersect (I can worry about the inequality later). This gives $$\frac{L_0}{T} + C_{p_{liq}}\ln T = 0.$$

Try as I might, I can't seem to turn this into the answer they want. I also don't see how any condition on intersection can be formed by considering the gradients. Is there something important I've missed/a slip in my algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start (c) by doing the following:
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_PdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_TdP$$
So, at constant entropy,
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_PdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_TdP=0$$
I would also use: $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T=-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P$$

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which a gas expands rapidly without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This results in a decrease in temperature and an increase in volume of the gas.

2. What is the condition for condensation from adiabatic expansion?

The condition for condensation from adiabatic expansion is when the temperature of the gas reaches its dew point, causing water vapor to condense into liquid water.

3. How does adiabatic expansion affect the humidity of air?

As air expands adiabatically, its temperature decreases, leading to a decrease in the amount of water vapor it can hold. This results in an increase in relative humidity.

4. What is the role of pressure in the process of adiabatic expansion?

Pressure plays a crucial role in adiabatic expansion as it determines the rate at which the gas expands and cools. A lower pressure will result in a slower expansion and a higher pressure will result in a faster expansion.

5. How does the adiabatic expansion of air impact weather patterns?

The adiabatic expansion of air plays a significant role in the formation of clouds and precipitation. As air rises and expands, it cools and can reach its dew point, leading to the formation of clouds. If the conditions are right, this can result in precipitation such as rain or snow.