Condition for finite series: sum of squares finite + ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a sequence of positive real numbers, u_n, to converge. It is stated that if the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n^{2} is finite, then the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n must also be finite. The condition for this to occur is that the limit of (u_{n+1}/u_n)^2 does not approach 1 as n approaches infinity. This condition is sufficient but not necessary for convergence. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the help they have received.
mercedesbenz
Let [tex]u_n[/tex] be a sequence of positive real number.
If [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n^{2}[/tex] finite + (condition??) then [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n[/tex] finite.
I want to find the condition.Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any obvious condition would be that [itex](u_{n+1}/u_n)^2[/itex] not go to 1 as n goes to infinity. The only way [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n^{2}[/tex] can converge is if [itex]lim (u_{n+1}/u_n)^2\le 1[/itex]. If [itex]lim (u_{n+1}/u_n)^2< 1[/itex] then [itex]lim u_{n+1}/u_n< 1[/itex] also and so [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n[/tex] converges. Of course, that is a sufficient condition, not a necessary condition. It is still possible that a sequence for which [itex]lim u_{n+1}/u_n\le 1[/itex] will converge.

Thank you so much,HallsofIvy. In my first post. you know, this is my ploblem which I've tried to do it for 1 month. Thank you again.

Related to Condition for finite series: sum of squares finite + ?

What is a finite series?

A finite series is a sequence of numbers that has a specific beginning and end, with a finite number of terms in between.

What does it mean for a finite series to have a sum of squares finite?

When a finite series has a sum of squares finite, it means that the sum of the squares of all the terms in the series is a finite number. This indicates that the series is convergent and the terms are decreasing in value.

What is the condition for a finite series to have a sum of squares finite?

The condition for a finite series to have a sum of squares finite is that the terms in the series must decrease in value as the series progresses, and the series must have a specific beginning and end.

Why is it important for a finite series to have a sum of squares finite?

Having a finite sum of squares allows us to determine the convergence or divergence of a series and also allows us to calculate the exact value of the series, rather than just an approximation.

What are some real-world applications of finite series with a sum of squares finite?

Finite series with a sum of squares finite are commonly used in finance, engineering, and physics to model real-world situations and make predictions. They are also used in computer algorithms and data analysis to process and analyze large amounts of data.