Conditional Statments and Truth Value

In summary, the statement P⊂Q allows for the possibility that P is false and Q is true. This may seem counterintuitive when thinking of the statement as "If P, then Q", but it can be better understood by considering the elements of each set. This is similar to the paradox of the material conditional and the use of modal operators.
toboldlygo
So, I know that P ⊃ Q is a true statement even if P is false as long as Q is true. However, I don't understand why that is, or how that is logically sound. Is it because I'm stuck in thinking of these types of statements as "If P, then Q," and they are not supposed to be thought of that way? How else can I approach this to have it make logical sense to me? Thanks. Also, I'm sorry if this is supposed to go to the HW section (I thought this fit here); please let me know and I'll move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the statement P⊂Q (i.e., the elements of the set P are contained in the set Q),
it is not illogical to have an event where P is false and Q is true.

It could be the case that there are multiple elements in the set Q that are not also in the set P.
If that were the case, than an event could be in Q and not in P.

Likes toboldlygo
toboldlygo said:
So, I know that P ⊃ Q is a true statement even if P is false as long as Q is true. However, I don't understand why that is, or how that is logically sound. Is it because I'm stuck in thinking of these types of statements as "If P, then Q," and they are not supposed to be thought of that way? How else can I approach this to have it make logical sense to me? Thanks. Also, I'm sorry if this is supposed to go to the HW section (I thought this fit here); please let me know and I'll move it.

If the moon is blue then the Earth is round.
If the moon is not blue then the Earth is round.
THEREFORE
The Earth is round.
If the first statement were false, then the deduction wouldn't follow.

jfizzix said:
Given the statement P⊂Q (i.e., the elements of the set P are contained in the set Q),
it is not illogical to have an event where P is false and Q is true.
I really like thinking of it this way! Would it be accurate, then, for me to think of it like this: if P = {a, b, c} and Q = {P, d}, then P can be false even if Q is true?

See also the paradox of the material conditional. There are modal operators where ## p \rightarrow q## only if q can be derived logically from p.

toboldlygo said:
I really like thinking of it this way! Would it be accurate, then, for me to think of it like this: if P = {a, b, c} and Q = {P, d}, then P can be false even if Q is true?
Yes.

Likes toboldlygo

1. What is a conditional statement?

A conditional statement is a logical statement that consists of two parts: an "if" statement and a "then" statement. It expresses that if a certain condition is met, then a certain outcome will follow.

2. What are the different types of conditional statements?

The two main types of conditional statements are "if-then" statements and "if and only if" statements. An "if-then" statement, also known as an implication, states that if the condition is met, then the outcome will follow. An "if and only if" statement, also known as a biconditional, states that the condition and the outcome are equivalent and both must be true or false.

3. How do you determine the truth value of a conditional statement?

The truth value of a conditional statement depends on the truth values of its component parts. If the condition is true and the outcome is true, then the entire statement is considered true. If the condition is true and the outcome is false, then the entire statement is considered false. If the condition is false, then the entire statement is considered true regardless of the truth value of the outcome.

4. What are some examples of conditional statements in science?

Conditional statements are commonly used in science to express cause and effect relationships. For example, "If the temperature of water reaches 100 degrees Celsius, then it will boil" or "If an object is heated, then its volume will increase." These statements help scientists make predictions and draw conclusions based on experimental data.

5. How can conditional statements be useful in scientific research?

Conditional statements are essential in the scientific method as they allow researchers to make hypotheses and test them through experimentation. They also help scientists make predictions about the outcome of experiments and draw conclusions based on the results. Conditional statements also play a crucial role in developing theories and models to explain natural phenomena.