Finding electric flux using Gauss' Law

In summary: Why would this matter? You wanted the flux that goes through the other end. The only thing that matters is how far away that surface is, and its surface...
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Say you have a hollow cylinder, whose one side is open. Now, you pace a positive charge ##Q## at the centre of this open end (such that it is just inside the cylinder). How much should be the flux coming out from the closed end?

I just thought of this problem. In order to use Gauss' Law, we need a closed surface. Can any such imaginary closed surface be constructed in this case? In short, will any flux be coming out of the closed end?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hollow conducting cylinder ? Height/diameter >> 1 ? Not grounded, I presume ?

Wrichik Basu said:
Can any such imaginary closed surface be constructed in this case?
Any closed surface is a Gaussian surface, so: yes!
Wrichik Basu said:
In short, will any flux be coming out of the closed end?
" In short " meaning "the same question in other words"?

As a completely diffferent question: yes.

PLease share your thoughts, just like if this were a homework exercise ...

Likes Simon Bridge
Wrichik Basu said:
How much should be the flux coming out from the closed end?
You know the electric field from a point charge, so just integrate that over the closed end to get the flux.

BvU said:
Hollow conducting cylinder ? Height/diameter >> 1 ? Not grounded, I presume ?Any closed surface is a Gaussian surface, so: yes!
" In short " meaning "the same question in other words"?

As a completely diffferent question: yes.

PLease share your thoughts, just like if this were a homework exercise ...
Let me clear it up a bit. Sorry for the confusing terminology.

Yes, it is a conducting cylinder. Both height and diameter are >> 1, and it is not grounded.

What I wanted to say was, since the cylinder had one side open, could I use Gauss' Law to compute the electric flux on the closed end? Gauss' Law requires a closed surface to be constructed in order to find the flux. How do I construct the closed surface so that I can compute the flux on the closed end of the cylinder?

But @Dale has given a solution of not going to Gauss' Law in this case, and thanks for that.

Likes Dale
Dale said:
You know the electric field from a point charge, so just integrate that over the closed end to get the flux.
Could you elaborate ?

BvU said:
Could you elaborate ?
The flux is ##\Phi=\int\int_S E\cdot dS##. Since you know E (Coulombs law) and S (end of cylinder) you can just directly calculate ##\Phi## without using Gauss’ law

Likes Wrichik Basu
How does one find ##\vec E\;## for such a configuration ?

Wrichik Basu said:
Say you have a hollow cylinder, whose one side is open. Now, you pace a positive charge ##Q## at the centre of this open end (such that it is just inside the cylinder). How much should be the flux coming out from the closed end?

I just thought of this problem. In order to use Gauss' Law, we need a closed surface. Can any such imaginary closed surface be constructed in this case? In short, will any flux be coming out of the closed end?

This appears to be nothing more than the problem of a point charged enclosed in a cylindrical Gaussian surface, is it not? All you are interested in is the electric flux passing through the surface at one end of the cylinder.

Zz.

BvU said:
How does one find ##\vec E\;## for such a configuration ?
Coulomb’s law

Edit: oops, I see now that the cylinder is not just a partial Gaussian surface, but an actual conductor.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
This appears to be nothing more than the problem of a point charge enclosed in a cylindrical Gaussian surface, is it not? All you are interested in is the electric flux passing through the surface at one end of the cylinder.
Zz.
That is what we call the problem statement in the homework fora. 'nothing more' and 'enclosed' appears misplaced to me. I am curious to find a handle to work out a solution. Does not seem trivial at all to me

upload_2018-6-24_18-14-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-24_18-14-11.png
    upload_2018-6-24_18-14-11.png
    699 bytes · Views: 804
Likes Wrichik Basu
BvU said:
That is what we call the problem statement in the homework fora. 'nothing more' and 'enclosed' appears misplaced to me. I am curious to find a handle to work out a solution. Does not seem trivial at all to me

View attachment 227263
Thanks for the diagram, I meant that.

ZapperZ said:
This appears to be nothing more than the problem of a point charged enclosed in a cylindrical Gaussian surface, is it not? All you are interested in is the electric flux passing through the surface at one end of the cylinder.

Zz.
As per the diagram given by @BvU, one side of the cylinder is open. That's where the problem lies.

Wrichik Basu said:
As per the diagram given by @BvU, one side of the cylinder is open. That's where the problem lies.

Why would this matter? You wanted the flux that goes through the other end. The only thing that matters is how far away that surface is, and its surface area.

Zz.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Would the ##\vec E \;## field be distorted by the conducting can in such a way that the flux through the bottom is the same as in the case the can isn't there ?

BvU said:
Would the ##\vec E \;## field be distorted by the conducting can in such a way that the flux through the bottom is the same as in the case the can isn't there ?
It would be distorted, because in the case where there isn’t a can the E field is purely radial, but in the case where there is a can the field must be perpendicular to the surface of the can.

If it were a flat box then I would use the method of images, but in this case I would need to numerically solve the electrostatic equations. There might be a more elegant method, but I don’t know it.

Likes Wrichik Basu and BvU

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is named after the German mathematician and physicist, Carl Friedrich Gauss.

2. How do I find the electric flux using Gauss' Law?

To find the electric flux using Gauss' Law, you first need to determine the electric field at every point on the closed surface. Then, you can calculate the total electric flux by integrating the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector over the entire surface. The formula for electric flux using Gauss' Law is Φ = ∫E⃗ · dA⃗.

3. What is the relationship between electric flux and electric field?

Electric flux is directly proportional to the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the electric flux also increases. They are also related by the angle between the electric field and the surface, with the maximum electric flux occurring when the electric field is perpendicular to the surface.

4. Can Gauss' Law be used to find electric flux for any shape of closed surface?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to find electric flux for any shape of closed surface as long as the electric field and the surface are both symmetric. This means that the electric field must have the same magnitude and direction at every point on the surface, and the surface itself must be symmetrical in shape.

5. What are the units of electric flux?

The units of electric flux are N·m²/C or V·m, which are equivalent to coulombs per square meter (C/m²). This can also be written as volts per meter (V/m), as electric flux is also a measure of the electric field passing through a given area.