Conduction - finite difference method

In summary, the conversation is about using the finite difference method to solve a problem and the speaker is asking for guidance on how to attempt the question. They mention trying two different approaches but still getting the wrong answer. The instructor mentions temperatures and input data, but the speaker is confused and does not understand how to proceed.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

6BB605E5-3BBB-4CA0-AADE-414022EA84B9.png

Homework Equations

Finite difference method

The Attempt at a Solution

36D8F330-C4B5-451E-92CE-8059FD0FD165.png

6C9774F5-7878-48B0-9A0D-F03FEEF0C72B.jpeg

I have tried two different approaches, but still i am wrong in the question. Can anyone guide me how to attempt this question?
Thank you

Attachments

• 6BB605E5-3BBB-4CA0-AADE-414022EA84B9.png
    6BB605E5-3BBB-4CA0-AADE-414022EA84B9.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 768
  • 36D8F330-C4B5-451E-92CE-8059FD0FD165.png
    36D8F330-C4B5-451E-92CE-8059FD0FD165.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 633
  • 6C9774F5-7878-48B0-9A0D-F03FEEF0C72B.jpeg
    6C9774F5-7878-48B0-9A0D-F03FEEF0C72B.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
The first approach gets the right answer. Why are you saying that it's wrong?

Chestermiller said:
The first approach gets the right answer. Why are you saying that it's wrong?
The system says I am wrong (ref: first screenshot in #1), and the following is what my instructor says:
"Are these temperatures computed by you, by solving the finite difference equations ? If these are given in the problem, these are for input data corresponding to the case of delta x = delta y."
I have no clue in understanding how should I do it...
Thank you.

Sorry. I have no idea what he's getting at.

1. What is the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is a numerical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations, particularly in the field of heat conduction. It involves dividing a continuous region into a grid of discrete points and approximating derivatives at those points using finite difference approximations.

2. How is the finite difference method used in heat conduction problems?

In heat conduction problems, the finite difference method is used to discretize the heat conduction equation, which describes the flow of heat through a material. This allows us to solve for the temperature at each point in the grid and track its evolution over time.

3. What are the advantages of using the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is relatively easy to implement and can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also allows for efficient computation of solutions to differential equations, making it a useful tool in many scientific and engineering fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using the finite difference method?

One limitation of the finite difference method is that it can only approximate solutions to differential equations, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the size of the grid used. Additionally, it can be computationally expensive to use for problems with high dimensions or complex boundary conditions.

5. How do you choose the appropriate grid size for the finite difference method?

The appropriate grid size for the finite difference method depends on the specific problem being solved. In general, a smaller grid size will result in a more accurate solution, but it will also require more computational resources. It is important to balance accuracy with efficiency when choosing a grid size.