Confirming an Inequality: Seeking Help

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, to confirm an inequality, you can use methods such as graphing, substitution, and algebraic manipulation. A calculator can also be used, but it is recommended to double-check with other methods. If the inequality is incorrect, you should review your calculations and try different methods. Common mistakes include not following the correct order of operations and not simplifying both sides. Inequalities have practical applications in budgeting, planning, and problem-solving in various fields.
Square1
Hey check out the attached picture. I think I solved the issue now but just to confirm perhaps...

If I were to continue here using the comparison test, is the only problem that b-subn limit equals 0, so the comparison test is inconclusive?

Otherwise, since our summation does not included n=0 (or other undefined values right?), my simplified form of a-subn holds, and my inequality is correct?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• series pic.jpg
    series pic.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is hard to read. However, it seems you have a series where for large n, the terms are approximately 1/n, so the series diverges.

Related to Confirming an Inequality: Seeking Help

1. How do I know if an inequality is correct?

To confirm an inequality, you can use several methods such as graphing, substitution, and algebraic manipulation. Graphing involves plotting the points on a graph and observing the trend. Substitution involves replacing the variables with different values and checking if the inequality still holds true. Algebraic manipulation involves simplifying both sides of the inequality until they are equal or one side is bigger than the other.

2. Can I use a calculator to confirm an inequality?

Yes, you can use a calculator to confirm an inequality. Most scientific calculators have an inequality function that allows you to enter the expression and compare the values on either side. However, it is always best to double-check your answer by using other methods such as graphing or algebraic manipulation.

3. What should I do if the inequality is not correct?

If the inequality is not correct, you should go back and check your calculations or reexamine the given information. It is also helpful to try using different methods to confirm the inequality. If you are still unsure, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Are there any common mistakes when confirming an inequality?

Yes, there are common mistakes when confirming an inequality. Some of these include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, and not simplifying both sides of the inequality before comparing them. It is important to double-check your work and be careful when manipulating inequalities.

5. How can I use inequalities in real-life situations?

Inequalities are often used to compare two quantities or to show relationships between different values. You can use inequalities in real-life situations such as budgeting, planning a trip, or solving problems involving rates or proportions. They are also commonly used in economics, science, and engineering to model and analyze various scenarios.