Inequality involving a reciprocal - where's the mistake?

In summary, to solve the inequality ##\left(\dfrac{1}{3}\right)^x<9##, we can rephrase it as ##3^x>\dfrac{1}{9}=3^{-2}## and solve for x. We find that the solution is ##x>-2##. It is important to note that for any positive x, ##3^x## is also positive and an increasing function. Therefore, we cannot simply reverse the inequality when applying a function to both sides.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Solve the given inequality : ##\boldsymbol{\left( \dfrac{1}{3} \right)^x<9}##
Relevant Equations
1. If ##a>b>0\Rightarrow \frac{1}{a}<\frac{1}{b}##
2. If ##a<b<0\Rightarrow \frac{1}{a}>\frac{1}{b}##
3. If ##a<0<b\Rightarrow \frac{1}{a}<\frac{1}{b}##

(I am not sure how are these relevant. I cannot think of a known rule involving reciprocals and powers. I'd be grateful to be reminded of them).
Problem Statement : Solve the inequality : ##\left( \dfrac{1}{3} \right)^x<9##.

Attempts: I copy and paste my attempt below using Autodesk Sketchbook##^{\circledR}##. The two attempts are shown in colours black and blue.

1665909962299.png

Issue : On checking, the first attempt in black turns out to be incorrect. But I don't understand why.

A hint would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
If ## 0<a<1## what can you say about ##x## and ##y## when you look at ## a^x## wrt ## a^y## ?

##\ ##

Likes FactChecker
It seems you could try applying ln or other logs on both sides.

Alternative: plot ##{1\over 3}^x## :smile:

Likes FactChecker
Powers of fractions less than 1 work differently. Which is larger, ##1/3## or ##1/3^2##?

BvU said:
Hi,
If ## 0<a<1## what can you say about ##x## and ##y## when you look at ## a^x## wrt ## a^y## ?

##\ ##
Let me take an example. Let ##a = \frac{1}{2}##, ##x=3## and ##y=4##. We have ##\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^3 = \frac{1}{8}## and ##\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^4=\frac{1}{16}##. Thus as ##x<y##, ##a^x>a^y##.

WWGD said:
It seems you could try applying ln or other logs on both sides.
Let me see.
1665918620359.png

It solves the problem but doesn't answer my doubt in post# 1 above.

FactChecker said:
Powers of fractions less than 1 work differently. Which is larger, ##1/3## or ##1/3^2##?
yes while ##3<3^2##, ##\frac{1}{3}>\frac{1}{3^2}##

BvU said:
Alternative: plot ##{1\over 3}^x## :smile:
Yes I can see where you getting at. I paste the graph below :

1665918852107.png

I think I have spotted my error. Namely that if ##\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^x<\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^y\Rightarrow x>y\;\;\forall a>1##.
I correct my error back in post#1 writing below the black ink in green.

1665919382975.png

Likes WWGD and FactChecker
It might have been easier to do:
$$\big (\frac 1 3 \big )^x < 9 \Rightarrow \frac 1 {3^x} < 9 \Rightarrow 3^x > \frac 1 9 = 3^{-2} \Rightarrow x > -2$$Notes:
1) ##\forall x: 3^x > 0##.

2) ##3^x## is an increasing function.

More succinctly, if a and b are positive,
##\frac 1 a < b \Rightarrow a > \frac 1 b##
Notice the change in direction of the inequality.

To generalize what you, others have said, ##x>y## does not imply ##f(x)>f(y) ##.

1. What is a reciprocal?

A reciprocal is the inverse of a number, which when multiplied by the original number, results in a product of 1. For example, the reciprocal of 2 is 1/2, and the reciprocal of 5 is 1/5.

2. What is an inequality involving a reciprocal?

An inequality involving a reciprocal is an inequality where one or both sides of the equation contain a reciprocal. For example, 2x < 1/5 or 1/3x > 5.

3. What is the most common mistake when solving inequalities involving a reciprocal?

The most common mistake is forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. This is because when taking the reciprocal of a negative number, the sign of the number changes.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving inequalities involving a reciprocal?

To avoid mistakes, always remember to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. It is also helpful to double check your work and plug in your solution to ensure it satisfies the original inequality.

5. Can inequalities involving a reciprocal have multiple solutions?

Yes, inequalities involving a reciprocal can have multiple solutions. This is because there are infinite numbers that satisfy the inequality. When graphing the solution, it will appear as a range of values rather than a single point.