Conflict Between Infinite energy levels and Valence Shells

In summary, the Bohr model states that an atom can have an infinite number of energy levels, but it only has a finite number of electrons. The electrons will occupy the lowest energy levels according to the aufbau principle and Pauli's exclusion principle. The valence orbitals are the highest occupied energy levels and are important for chemical bonding. The energies in the Bohr model are negative and never reach infinite energy.
CGandC

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding the existence of valence shells.

I understood that valence shell is the last energy level for the electrons to populate around an atom.

But, according to Bohr model , an atom can have infinite energy levels , so I don't understand:

How can an atom have a level , called ' valence shell ' ( which represents the last energy level for the electrons to populate an atom ) if the atom itself can have infinite energy levels ( at-least theoretically )?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CGC, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Here at PF it's "encouraged" that folks orient themselves and ask for help when they encounter trouble.

But I'll give you a few hints/questions:
CGandC said:
last energy level for the electrons to populate around an atom
In what order are these levels populated ?
When can the 'population process' stop ?

CGandC said:
according to Bohr model , an atom can have infinite energy levels

Infinite NUMBER of energy levels, not infinite energy levels.

BvU said:
Hello CGC, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

Here at PF it's "encouraged" that folks orient themselves and ask for help when they encounter trouble.

But I'll give you a few hints/questions:
In what order are these levels populated ?
When can the 'population process' stop ?

I don't know, I'm learning chemistry for the first time that is why I'm asking.

Borek said:
Infinite NUMBER of energy levels, not infinite energy levels.

The bohr energy is quantified, as long as I can remmember then there was no limit which quantified energy level you can get to if you put enough energy to the system, so what I said is fine.

CGandC said:
How can an atom have a level , called ' valence shell ' ( which represents the last energy level for the electrons to populate an atom ) if the atom itself can have infinite energy levels ( at-least theoretically )?
An atom might have an infinite number of energy levels, but it doesn’t have an infinite number of electrons. In the lowest energy state, the finite number of electrons will fill the lowest energy levels. This is called the aufbau principle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufbau_principle
So why don’t all the electrons just go into the lowest energy level and be done with it? Because electrons can’t all go into the lowest energy level. It’s a phenomenon known as Pauli’s exclusion principle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle
Electrons are fermions, and therefore only one electron is allowed to occupy a distinct quantum state. Based on these principles (and a few others relating to angular momentum), one can see that if an atom has 15 electrons, they will tend to occupy the 15 lowest energy orbital states. The valence orbitals are simply the highest of these low energy states that are occupied by electrons. The electrons occupying these valence orbitals are important because they are the ones that contribute most heavily to chemical bonding.

Likes CGandC
I don't think this last answer is effective for someone who just sees the Bohr model for the first time ... :rolleyes:

GC&C, have you seen the formula for the energies in the Bohr model ?
b27432dd0f4c6e0adfcd7bec092a24bb0d6a21ea

(formula picture: wikipedia | Bohr model | derivation )

The energies are negative (bound states -- zero or positive energy would mean a free electron, not in orbit) and there are an infinite number of them, but the energy is never infinite.

The Bohr model is restricted to looking at a single electron 'seeing' a positive charge at the origin. Meaning it applies reasonably well to an outer electron of an atom : an electron in the valence shell.

TeethWhitener said:
An atom might have an infinite number of energy levels, but it doesn’t have an infinite number of electrons. In the lowest energy state, the finite number of electrons will fill the lowest energy levels. This is called the aufbau principle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufbau_principle
So why don’t all the electrons just go into the lowest energy level and be done with it? Because electrons can’t all go into the lowest energy level. It’s a phenomenon known as Pauli’s exclusion principle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle
Electrons are fermions, and therefore only one electron is allowed to occupy a distinct quantum state. Based on these principles (and a few others relating to angular momentum), one can see that if an atom has 15 electrons, they will tend to occupy the 15 lowest energy orbital states. The valence orbitals are simply the highest of these low energy states that are occupied by electrons. The electrons occupying these valence orbitals are important because they are the ones that contribute most heavily to chemical bonding.

This is what I needed and I understand now, thank you.

BvU said:
I don't think this last answer is effective for someone who just sees the Bohr model for the first time ... :rolleyes:

GC&C, have you seen the formula for the energies in the Bohr model ?
b27432dd0f4c6e0adfcd7bec092a24bb0d6a21ea

(formula picture: wikipedia | Bohr model | derivation )

The energies are negative (bound states -- zero or positive energy would mean a free electron, not in orbit) and there are an infinite number of them, but the energy is never infinite.

The Bohr model is restricted to looking at a single electron 'seeing' a positive charge at the origin. Meaning it applies reasonably well to an outer electron of an atom : an electron in the valence shell.

You haven't understood what I asked and I specifically wrote "## \textbf{ level } ##" which mathematically corresponds to ## n \in \mathbb{N} ## so this is just a memory refresh :biggrin: so you could recall about Bohr model .

By infinite energy levels I meant that I can have ## E_1 ## , ## E_2 ## , ... , ## E_\infty ## as the energy is quantified , I never said the energy can be infinite as if we have ## n=0 ## this situation corresponds to free electron not attached to any atom.

CGandC said:
I don't know, I'm learning chemistry for the first time that is why I'm asking
CGandC said:
You haven't understood what I asked
I find comfort in knowing that I am not the only one :rolleyes:
CGandC said:
infinite energy levels
Google would say: "Did you mean 'an infinite number of energy levels' ?" :wink:
CGandC said:
wrote "level " which mathematically corresponds to ## n \in \mathbb{N}##
Yes, well, this is a physics forum and an energy level corresponds to a real number (##\in \mathbb R##) times some unit of energy.
But don't let me distract you any further.

1. What is the conflict between infinite energy levels and valence shells?

The conflict between infinite energy levels and valence shells refers to the phenomenon in which the energy levels of an atom's electrons do not align with the number of electrons in its outermost shell. This creates an imbalance in the atom's stability and can lead to chemical reactions or bonding with other atoms.

2. How does this conflict affect the properties of elements?

The conflict between infinite energy levels and valence shells can greatly impact the properties of elements. For example, elements with a full outermost shell tend to be stable and unreactive, while those with an incomplete outer shell are more likely to form chemical bonds with other elements in order to achieve a stable configuration.

3. Can this conflict be resolved?

Yes, this conflict can be resolved through various methods such as the transfer or sharing of electrons between atoms, which results in the formation of chemical bonds. Additionally, atoms can also achieve a stable configuration by gaining or losing electrons through chemical reactions.

4. How does the conflict between infinite energy levels and valence shells relate to the periodic table?

The periodic table is organized based on the number of electrons in an element's outermost shell, also known as its valence electrons. This organization reflects the relationship between the number of valence electrons and an element's properties, which are influenced by the conflict between infinite energy levels and valence shells.

5. Are there any exceptions to this conflict?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this conflict, such as elements in the transition metals group. These elements have partially filled d orbitals, which can accommodate more electrons and result in a different electron configuration than predicted by the number of valence electrons. This can affect their chemical properties and reactivity.