Confused About (-1)^{2/6}: Get Help Here

• Thread starter joao_pimentel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, in order to evaluate the expression (-1)^{2/6}, we need to first define what it means, as exponents are typically only defined for positive real numbers. Using the help of complex numbers, we can define (-1)^{2/6} as e^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}, but the logarithm function is also classically only defined for positive real numbers and becomes multivalued when extended to complex numbers. The principal (most important) value of Log(-1) is \pi i, which leads to three possible values for (-1)^{2/6}. However, the expression (-1)^{2/6} is also multivalued and can have six
joao_pimentel
Hi guys

I was wondering after reading some other stuff on the web..

How much is [itex](-1)^{2/6}[/itex]

It is [itex](-1)^{\frac{2}{6}}=(-1)^{\frac{1}{3}}=\sqrt[3]{-1}=-1[/itex]

OR

[itex](-1)^{\frac{2}{6}}=\sqrt[6]{(-1)^2}=\sqrt[6]{1}=1[/itex]

I'm really confused with this...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

João

Mathematics news on Phys.org
-1 or 1 ?

Thank you :)

First of all, exponents are classically only defined for positive real numbers (except where the exponent is an integer). If you want to talk about [itex](-1)^{2/6}[/itex], then you first need to define what exactly it means. Such a thing can be defined with some help of complex numbers. Indeed, we define

[tex](-1)^(2/6)=e^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}[/tex]

but what does Log(-1) mean?? Well, the logarithm is classically also only defined for postive real numbers. But it can also be defined for complex numbers. Sadly, it becomes multivalued. That is, the logarithm can take up more than one value. Here, we have

[tex]Log(-1)=(2k+1)\pi i[/tex]

For every number k, we have a value of the logarithm. So Log(-1) is each value in the set [itex]\{...,-3\pi i, -\pi i,\pi i,3\pi i,...\}[/itex]

We do define a principal value of the logarithm. This is [itex]\pi i[/itex]. So we could say that Log(-1) has infinitely many values, but [itex]\pi i[/itex] is the most important one (by definition).

So, now we now what Log(-1) is, we can answer what [itex](-1)^{2/6}[/itex] is. Indeed

[tex](-1)^{2/6}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi i}[/tex]

This is by definition equal to

[tex]\cos(\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi) + i\sin(\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi)[/tex]

So we see that the expression [itex](-1)^{2/6}[/itex] is also multivalued. To find its values, note that our expression is

[tex]\cos(\frac{(2k+1)\pi}{3})+i\sin(\frac{(2k+1)\pi}{3})[/tex]

Letting k=0,1,2 we get

[tex]\{\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2},-1,\frac{1}{2}-i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\}[/tex]

All other values of k yield the same answer. So our expression has three answers. Note that -1 is one of the answers. However, the principal (most important) value is

[tex]\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

Why can't the answer be 1. Well, in your OP you reasoned that

[tex](-1)^{2/6}=((-1)^2)^{1/6}[/tex]

But this law doesn't need to hold anymore. Indeed, it is in general false that [itex]a^{bc}=(a^b)^c[/itex] (unless a is positive).

Sorry that this answer might be difficult to understand. But this is the example of a simple question that does not have a simple answer.

And in distinction to your argument #2...

[itex]-1^{1/6}[/itex] has six answers, none of which are -1 or 1, but when squared they map onto a set of three answers as per micromass' post.

[itex]1^{1/6}[/itex] also has six answers, which include the three answers identified.

You might say that by squaring first, you've lost information about which answers are valid.

I completely understood everything :)

Thank you very much for all your attention...

I was not just realizing that I needed to go into the Complex numbers...

And also, I didn't know that [itex](a^{b})^c=a^{bc}[/itex] is just valid when [itex]a> 0[/itex]

Thanks a lot :)

Joffan said:
And in distinction to your argument #2...

[itex]-1^{1/6}[/itex] has six answers, none of which are -1 or 1,...

[itex](-1)^{1/6} \ \ must \ have \ been \ meant \ here.[/itex]

But [itex]({a}^b)^c=a^{bc}[/itex] can't still be valid even when [itex]a<0[/itex], if b and c are integers?

I mean, are there any values of [itex]b,c\in\Re[/itex] which make the above statement valid when a<0?

micromass said:
[tex](-1)^{2/6}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi i}[/tex][/QOUTE]

I may be wrong, but I believe this should be:

[tex](-1)^{2/6}=\color{red}e^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}=\color{red}e^{\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi i}[/tex]

BloodyFrozen said:
micromass said:
[tex](-1)^{2/6}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}=(-1)^{\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi i}[/tex] [/QOUTE]

I may be wrong, but I believe this should be:

[tex](-1)^{2/6}=\color{red}e^{\frac{2}{6}Log(-1)}=\color{red}e^{\frac{2}{6}(2k+1)\pi i}[/tex]

Indeed! Thanks a lot!

Related to Confused About (-1)^{2/6}: Get Help Here

What is (-1)^{2/6}?

(-1)^{2/6} is a mathematical expression that raises the number -1 to the power of 2/6, which is equivalent to taking the 6th root of -1 squared. This can also be written as (-1)^{1/3} or -1/3.

Why is (-1)^{2/6} confusing?

(-1)^{2/6} can be confusing because the result can be interpreted in two different ways: either as the 6th root of -1 squared, which equals 1, or as the 2nd power of the 6th root of -1, which equals -1. This ambiguity can lead to confusion and different interpretations of the expression.

What is the correct answer to (-1)^{2/6}?

The correct answer to (-1)^{2/6} depends on the context and how the expression is being interpreted. It can be either 1 or -1, as explained in the previous question.

How can I avoid confusion with (-1)^{2/6}?

To avoid confusion with (-1)^{2/6}, it is important to clearly specify the intended interpretation of the expression. This can be done by using parentheses or writing the expression in a different form, such as (-1)^{1/3} or -1/3.

Can I simplify (-1)^{2/6} to a single number?

No, (-1)^{2/6} cannot be simplified to a single number. As mentioned before, it can be interpreted in two different ways, and the result will vary depending on the chosen interpretation.