Confused about a conservation of energy problem

BikGer2
Homework Statement
Determine the energy which body of mass m1=50 kg transfers to body of mass m2=70kg, if body 1 is moving towards body 2 with constant velocity of v1 = 20 m/s while body 2 is at rest. The collision is perfectly elastic and frontal (assuming this means the collision is central).
Relevant Equations
\begin{align}
m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1v_1' + m_2v_2' \nonumber \\
\frac{m_1v_1^2}{2} + \frac{m_2v_2^2}{2} = \frac{m_1v_1'^2}{2} + \frac{m_2v_2'^2}{2} \nonumber
\end{align}
Hi,

I assumed I was supposed to find the amount of kinetic energy body 2 receives after contact, assuming the collision is central, body 1 will be at rest after the collision.

I started by using the equation for conservation of momentum:

\begin{align}
m_1v_1 = m_1v_1' + m_2v_2' \\
50 * 20 = 50v_1' + 70 v_2' \nonumber \end{align}

Then kinetic energy:
\begin{align}
m_1v_1^2 = m_1v_1'^2 + m_2v_2'^2 \\
50 * 400 = 50v_1'^2 + 70v_2'^2 \nonumber \end{align}

From the first equation, $$v_1' = \frac{1000 - 70v_2'}{50} = 20 - 1.4v2'$$

Which was then substituted into the kinetic energy equation:
\begin{align}
20000 = 50(20 - 1.4v_2')^2 + 70v_2'^2 \nonumber \\
20000 = 50(400 - 56v_2' + 1.96v_2'^2) + 70v_2'^2 \nonumber \end{align}
After dividing everything by 50 and sorting everything out:
\begin{align}
3.36v_2'2 - 56v_2' = 0 \nonumber \end{align}
Solving the quadratic yields v2' to be 16.67 m/s. (Other solution of quadratic is 0)

If I plug that into the kinetic energy formula, I get the energy of body 2 to be Ek = 9726.1115 J.

What I find confusing is that the solution of the problem in the book says ΔE = 24.3J which to me, doesn't make sense.

The problem asks for the amount of energy transferred from body 1 to body 2, shouldn't that amount be roughly the same, the collision is elastic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @BikGer2 ,
:welcome:##\qquad##!​
BikGer2 said:
assuming the collision is central, body 1 will be at rest after the collision.
This assumption is not justified. What made you think that ? Did you check it ?

My compliments for your clear post and the effort to ##TeX## it ! :smile:

I get the same result you find (and with ##v_1' = \frac{1000 - 70v_2'}{50} = 20 - 1.4v2' \quad \Rightarrow\quad v_1'= - 3.33 ## m/s !)

So the book answer must be in error. It happens...##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes BikGer2
BvU said:
This assumption is not justified. What made you think that ? Did you check it ?
I was not entirely sure, but I assumed saying the collision is 'frontal' was an implication the collision is central, though I have not tried solving this as an offset collision. I assumed the latter:
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 10.54.22.png

BvU said:
I get the same result you find (and with ##v_1' = \frac{1000 - 70v_2'}{50} = 20 - 1.4v2' \quad \Rightarrow\quad v_1'= - 3.33 ## m/s !)

So the book answer must be in error. It happens...
It could be the book, since the solution states delta energy to be only 24.3 J, a weirdly small value, and the delta means it's a change in energy, which was not asked in the problem statement.

BikGer2 said:
aying the collision is 'frontal' was an implication the collision is central
It's the best you can do. Frontal is more a traffic term than a physics term

Bottom line: ##E_{\text kin}## of ##m_2## changes from 0 to 9.72 kJ
(hence the ##\Delta E##)

Physics: only 97% of the kinetic energy is transferred. This percentage decreases when the mass difference increases (in the extreme: 0% for ##m_2\uparrow \infty##)

Given data are 1 or 2 significant figures, so 9726.1115 is overdoing it
(and I suspect even the 6 will change if you don't round off intermediate results....)

##\ ##

Likes BikGer2
You get the given answer if you replace 20m/s with 1m/s.

Likes MatinSAR, Delta2, BvU and 1 other person

1. Why is conservation of energy important in science?

Conservation of energy is important in science because it is a fundamental principle that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This principle allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems.

2. How can I apply conservation of energy to solve a problem?

To apply conservation of energy to solve a problem, you need to identify all the forms of energy present in the system, track how they are transferred or transformed, and ensure that the total energy remains constant throughout the process. By setting up and solving equations based on the conservation of energy principle, you can determine the unknown quantities in the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using conservation of energy?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using conservation of energy include neglecting certain forms of energy in the system, forgetting to account for energy losses due to friction or other factors, and incorrectly applying the principle to non-isolated systems. It is important to carefully consider all sources of energy and correctly analyze their interactions in order to apply conservation of energy effectively.

4. How can I check if my solution to a conservation of energy problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to a conservation of energy problem is correct by verifying that the total energy before and after the process remains the same. Calculate the total energy at the initial and final states of the system and ensure that they are equal. Additionally, check that your solution is consistent with the given conditions and constraints of the problem.

5. What are some real-world examples where conservation of energy is applied?

Some real-world examples where conservation of energy is applied include pendulum swings, roller coaster rides, car collisions, and chemical reactions. In each of these scenarios, energy is transferred or transformed in accordance with the conservation of energy principle, allowing scientists and engineers to predict and analyze the behavior of the systems involved.