Confused about going from relativistic to non-relativistic Hamilonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation from Eq. 32 to Eq. 33 in a paper, where the Hamiltonian is represented by the gamma matrices and the electron and quark/nucleon fields. In the non-relativistic limit, the Hamiltonian becomes proportional to the nuclear density, represented by the term ##\rho(r)##, and acts only in the electronic sector. The confusion arises regarding the absence of the electronic ##\gamma_\mu## term and the interpretation of the nuclear density term.
Malamala
Hello! My question is related to going from Eq. 32 to Eq. 33 in this paper (however I have seen this in other papers, too). In summary, starting with:

$$H \propto \bar{e}\gamma_\mu\gamma_5 e \bar{q}\gamma^\mu q$$
where we have the gamma matrices, e is the electron field and q is the quark/nucleon field, if we assume the nucleus is non-relativistic we end up with:

$$H \propto \gamma_5\rho(r)$$
where ##\rho(r)## is the nuclear density and this is a Hamiltonian acting in the electronic sector.

My confusions are:
1. Where did the electronic ##\gamma_\mu## go?
2. (More important) I am not sure I understand the ##\rho(r)## term. Is r referring to the nuclear or electronic position? If it is nuclear, I am confused as, given we integrated out the nuclear part, the nuclear term should be a constant, no? If it refers to electron, I am not sure how to think of the nuclear density as a function of electron coordinates and how does it even end up being a function of the electronic coordiates?

I would really appreciate some help with this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
##\rho=j^{0}=\bar{q}\gamma^0 q=q^{\dagger} q##. In the non-relativistic limit, the dominating term is indeed the Coulomb-like interaction.

1. What is the difference between relativistic and non-relativistic Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function used to describe the total energy of a system. In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is non-relativistic, meaning it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. In relativistic mechanics, the Hamiltonian is modified to include the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. Why is it important to go from a relativistic to non-relativistic Hamiltonian?

In many cases, the relativistic effects on a system can be negligible and can be ignored for simplicity. Non-relativistic Hamiltonians are also easier to work with mathematically, making them more practical for many applications. Therefore, it is important to be able to convert from a relativistic to non-relativistic Hamiltonian to simplify calculations and better understand the behavior of a system.

3. How do you go from a relativistic to non-relativistic Hamiltonian?

The process of converting from a relativistic to non-relativistic Hamiltonian involves taking the non-relativistic limit of the relativistic Hamiltonian. This is done by setting the speed of light, c, to infinity and neglecting terms that are proportional to 1/c. This results in a simplified non-relativistic Hamiltonian that only considers the effects of classical mechanics.

4. What are some examples of systems that require a relativistic Hamiltonian?

Relativistic Hamiltonians are necessary for systems that involve particles moving at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or particles in a high-energy collision. They are also important for systems that involve strong gravitational fields, such as black holes or neutron stars.

5. How does the relativistic Hamiltonian affect the behavior of a system?

The inclusion of relativistic effects in the Hamiltonian can result in significant changes in the behavior of a system. For example, time dilation and length contraction can affect the measured values of time and distance in a system. Additionally, relativistic Hamiltonians can lead to the prediction of new phenomena, such as the creation of new particles in high-energy collisions.