Confused about how to find the mean of uncertainties for pendulum exp.

In summary, the value of g and its uncertainty can be found by using the equation g = (4pi^2L/T^2) and the variance method.
Zuvan
Homework Statement
State the value of g and its uncertainity (Pendulum experiment)
Relevant Equations
g = (4pi^2L/T^2)
Δg = [g(ΔL/L + 2ΔT/T)]
I'm confused about how to find the final value of g and its uncertainty. I've done a bit of research and I have encountered conflicting information, some say you have to weight the measurements, some say you have to find the standard deviation then divide by two, etc. I have the following tabulated data:

T Period (t/N) (s)L Pendulum length (m)ΔL (m)g = (4pi^2L/T^2) (ms^-2)Δg = [g(ΔL/L + 2ΔT/T)] (ms^-2)

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zuvan said:
Homework Statement:: State the value of g and its uncertainity (Pendulum experiment)
Relevant Equations:: g = (4pi^2L/T^2)
Δg = [g(ΔL/L + 2ΔT/T)]

I'm confused about how to find the final value of g and its uncertainty. I've done a bit of research and I have encountered conflicting information, some say you have to weight the measurements, some say you have to find the standard deviation then divide by two, etc. I have the following tabulated data:

T Period (t/N) (s)L Pendulum length (m)ΔL (m)g = (4pi^2L/T^2) (ms^-2)Δg = [g(ΔL/L + 2ΔT/T)] (ms^-2)

Many thanks for your help.
Yes, this is a common source of confusion.

For the moment, I'll set aside systematic errors... see later.

On the one hand, you have an a priori estimate of the precision of each data value (what are you using for Δt?), and on the other you have a computable variance from several calculations of what ought to be the same g value.

I believe there ought to be a mathematically justified way of combining these two, but I've never seen it done. Instead, people use the first way (and the equation you quote) when there are only a few data points and the second when there are lots. With five, I would try both and use whichever gives the tighter range.

For the variance method, what you need is the "standard error of the mean". Look this up. Bear in mind that, in principle, the more datapoints you have the more you can trust their average. This means that taking the standard deviation of the calculated values as the uncertainty must be wrong - more and more datapoints would not make that diminish.

But averaging doesn’t shrink systematic errors, like consistently overreading the period.

There are certainly several ways to do it, and you shouldn’t think of any of them as wrong. However some are definitely better than others.

Because this is the homework forum, I’ll throw it back on you and ask you to show us some of the things you’ve tried.

1. What is the mean of uncertainties for a pendulum experiment?

The mean of uncertainties for a pendulum experiment is a statistical measure that represents the average of all the uncertainties in a set of data. It is calculated by adding all the uncertainties and dividing the sum by the total number of uncertainties.

2. How do I calculate the mean of uncertainties for a pendulum experiment?

To calculate the mean of uncertainties for a pendulum experiment, you need to first record the uncertainties for each measurement. Then, add all the uncertainties and divide the sum by the total number of uncertainties. The resulting value is the mean of uncertainties.

3. Why is the mean of uncertainties important in a pendulum experiment?

The mean of uncertainties is important in a pendulum experiment because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of the experiment. It also provides a better understanding of the variability in the data and can be used to make more accurate conclusions.

4. What is the difference between mean and mean of uncertainties in a pendulum experiment?

The mean in a pendulum experiment is the average of all the measured values, while the mean of uncertainties is the average of all the uncertainties associated with those measured values. The mean represents the central tendency of the data, while the mean of uncertainties represents the variability in the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using the mean of uncertainties in a pendulum experiment?

Yes, there are limitations to using the mean of uncertainties in a pendulum experiment. It assumes that all the uncertainties are equally important and that there is no systematic error in the measurements. It also does not take into account any outliers in the data. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other statistical measures to get a more comprehensive understanding of the data.

Back